It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC 3.0 - Versioning of Artifacts in Collections

Derek Chu (2153) | asked Feb 28 '11, 7:04 p.m.
Hi,

Is it possible to have different versions (history) of an artifact attached to different collections? For example, I have Artifact 1 which is part of Collection 1, then I go and make changes to Artifact 1 and now I want to put the updated version as part of Collection 2:

Collection 1:
- Artifact 1 v1
Collection 2:
- Artifact 1 v2

Thanks.
Derek

3 answers

permanent link
George DeCandio (1112) | answered Feb 28 '11, 9:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Derek-

The capability that you are requesting is partially present in RRC v2.0. In RRC v2.0 you can have 2 collections with different versions of artifacts in them, but the artifact versions must be part of a baseline (i.e arbitrary revisions are not allowed).

In RRC v3.0 we have not re-instated this function as of yet. We are re-evaluating the use cases around these features to see if there is a better set of functionality to handle the common ones.

If you could post more information about what you are trying to use collections for and the use cases you need supported it might help us in our decision.

Thanks.
George DeCandio

permanent link
Derek Chu (2153) | answered Mar 02 '11, 7:04 p.m.
Hi George,

The main use case would be to keep track of the different versions of a collection, similar to having different versions of a Word document with a change log. For example, take a Use Case Specification collection which is comprised of many artifacts; we would baseline a collection for review, and after that review, changes would be made to the artifacts as required, and the cycle would repeat till the collection is signed off.

For audit and traceability purposes, we would need to be able to bring up each version of a collection. For example, if the collection went through 3 different review cycles with 3 sets of changes, we would need to be able to bring up all 3 different versions of the collection.

Ideally, we would be able to see the versioning relationships between an artifact and a collection. For example, Artifact A v1 is part of Collection A v1 and v2, while Artifact A v2 is part of Collection A v3.

Thanks.
Derek

permanent link
George DeCandio (1112) | answered Mar 02 '11, 9:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for the info. This is a use case that we are hoping to support in V3.0. Keep your eyes on the builds and jazz.net. When we have something we can share or review with you, I will update this post with more information.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.