It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

New user question regarding delivering baselines

Dave Kelsey (611) | asked Feb 09 '12, 7:27 a.m.
I have just got started with jazz source control. We have a development stream with 3 components in it, all of which were labelled with (1: Initial Baseline).

I have a workspace managed by jazz build which accepts all the changes to a stream and builds our product and then creates a baseline for these components. I accidentally delivered these baselines back to the stream. I now see the components in the stream are now labelled with the baselines numbers and tags, eg 373: build_20120131-1532.

I understand that no change sets would have been delivered (as the baselines would have been empty compared to the stream state) and that there was no affect on the stream or components regarding versions of the source. What I am now trying to understand is what the changing of the label from 1: Initial Baseline to 373: build_20120131-1532 is telling me ?

I was also wondering what would happen if I then select the component in the stream and launch the menu option replace with-> baseline and select the 1: initial baseline so as to make the stream appear as it was before ?

I am making a naive assumption that a stream only tracks change sets from the component baseline. So replacing a component with a previous baseline means that either it loses those changesets and reverts directly to that baseline or it moves to that baseline but then includes all the change sets to ensure that the stream state of the components is preserved.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated so I can understand the relationship between streams and components wrt baselines.

3 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 09 '12, 1:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Don't worry too much about the baseline label. What you have to be concerned about is what does it mean to create a baseline and what happens when you set your component to a baseline.

Creating a baseline means you have a point in time where all the change sets will be remembered. So the initial baseline shows the state of the component when it was first created, which means an empty component. Your build has created a baseline that represents all the change sets used in that build.

If you were to replace your component with the initial baseline, you would be back at nothing. At the time of the initial baseline, there were no change sets and you don't seem to have made any baselines since the initial baseline. Keeping the one from the build is perfectly OK. Going back to the initial baseline would mean dropping everything that has happened after that initial baseline, which is every single change set that your team ever delivered to the stream's component.

In fact, it would be best practice to create baselines frequently to help when comparing your stream to other streams and workspaces. There is less calculation required when there is a common baseline in the comparison. Whether you want to deliver the baselines from the build or create them before the build is up to you. Just baseline more often to help with performance and for rolling back your stream to a good state if recent changes broke something (such as replacing with initial baseline).

permanent link
Dave Kelsey (611) | answered Feb 10 '12, 7:21 a.m.
Thanks for the reply, that was very helpful.
Am I correct then in my assumption that a stream keeps track of the change sets from a component base line until another baseline is established and delivered to that stream ?

Once a stream has a component base line all it needs to track are the change sets since that baseline as the stream knows all the latest changes that were delivered ?

Many thanks

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 11 '12, 12:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A stream has a change set history, which has "baseline markers" in it,
corresponding to points in the change set history where a baseline was
created. So a stream keeps track of all of the change sets and all of
the baselines in its history.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 2/10/2012 7:23 AM, davekel wrote:
Thanks for the reply, that was very helpful.
Am I correct then in my assumption that a stream keeps track of the
change sets from a component base line until another baseline is
established and delivered to that stream ?

Once a stream has a component base line all it needs to track are the
change sets since that baseline as the stream knows all the latest
changes that were delivered ?

Many thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.