It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to import japanese characters into RTC?

Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | asked Feb 03 '12, 6:02 a.m.
If yes, what are the things I should be careful of?

Thank you
Eduardo

8 answers

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Feb 03 '12, 11:08 a.m.
My mistake. I am looking into importing artifacts into RRC.

If yes, what are the things I should be careful of?

Thank you
Eduardo

permanent link
Jason Warner (1063) | answered Feb 03 '12, 11:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We do support importing a csv file that contains japanese characters. You need to make sure that the file is in UTF-8 format, though.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 03 '12, 11:33 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
And let me offer two tips:

1. If you are starting with data in MS Word or Excel, for example, you need to make sure the text does not include MS Office "special characters". These characters don't convert "nicely".

2. There have been cases in which I have saved a csv file in Excel and then needed to open the file in Notepad and save it in UTF-8 format, since Excel could not do that.

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Feb 03 '12, 11:52 a.m.
And let me offer two tips:

1. If you are starting with data in MS Word or Excel, for example, you need to make sure the text does not include MS Office "special characters". These characters don't convert "nicely".

2. There have been cases in which I have saved a csv file in Excel and then needed to open the file in Notepad and save it in UTF-8 format, since Excel could not do that.

Thank you for the response. I am actually starting with Excel as there will be around 2000 requirements to import (not all japanese). But when I "save as csv" from Excel, the japanese characters are turned into question marks.

So my understanding is that I'll have to input the japanese text manually into the csv after the file has been saved as csv off of Excel (It's not possible to save csv as UTF from Excel).

Is this assumption correct?

Thank you

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 03 '12, 11:56 a.m.
can you get it into Word or Notepad some way? Then perhaps you can save it in UTF-8.

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Feb 03 '12, 12:02 p.m.
I have tested importing the following csv:
Type,Title,Primary Text
System Requirement,,

The Title attribute was imported correctly. However, the primary Text attribute was not. "" was transformed into "アイウエオカキクケコサシスセソタチツテ"

Due to the fact that the Title attribute was imported correctly, I believe that both my machine and the server are prepared to import japanese characters. Would you have any ideas on how to make the Primary Text be imported correctly?

thank you

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 03 '12, 12:04 p.m.
You might want to look at these and make sure you are on the latest RRC fixpack 3.0.1.2 (but this won't solve your need to wrestle with MS Office):

https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/37476

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=36799

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Feb 03 '12, 12:14 p.m.
The Primary Text attribute was not imported correctly. They were transformed into numbers and special characters.

However, when I pasted those special characters and numbers here, the forum transformed them into japanese characters.

So there's a problem somewhere (my browser? my server?) that is transforming the japanese characters in numbers and special characters in RRC.

Any ideas?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.