It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Excel Import Utility - command to stop reading Excel file?

Peggy Graham (2621) | asked Dec 01 '11, 11:41 a.m.
Hello,

I am trying to write a config file to import ~400 manual test scripts that are currently in Excel. Each test script is in a separate Excel spreadsheet, with the script is on Sheet A, the test data on Sheet B and a screen shot on Sheet C.

I used the sample - Scripts that create testcases.cfg - to create my config. It works perfectly - EXCEPT - after creating the manual test in RQM from the test steps on Sheet A, it continues to read Sheets B & C, which are not part of the test steps.

How do I make the Excel Import Utility stop reading the file, rather than trying to find more test scripts on the other tabs?

I tried removing this line:

// a new script starts when we encounter an empty row
testscript.XLSDelimeter=\n

hoping that if it didn't know what the delimeter was to start a new script it would stop, but that did not work either.

If I delete Sheets B and C, my import works, but I can't go into ~400 Excel spreadsheets and delete those tabs from each one.

It should be simple to just say import one script per file and stop but I can't figure out how. HELP!!!

Thank you in advance,

Peggy

2 answers

permanent link
Peggy Graham (2621) | answered Dec 05 '11, 1:18 p.m.
Hello,

I am trying to write a config file to import ~400 manual test scripts that are currently in Excel. Each test script is in a separate Excel spreadsheet, with the script is on Sheet A, the test data on Sheet B and a screen shot on Sheet C.

I used the sample - Scripts that create testcases.cfg - to create my config. It works perfectly - EXCEPT - after creating the manual test in RQM from the test steps on Sheet A, it continues to read Sheets B & C, which are not part of the test steps.

How do I make the Excel Import Utility stop reading the file, rather than trying to find more test scripts on the other tabs?

I tried removing this line:

// a new script starts when we encounter an empty row
testscript.XLSDelimeter=\n

hoping that if it didn't know what the delimeter was to start a new script it would stop, but that did not work either.

If I delete Sheets B and C, my import works, but I can't go into ~400 Excel spreadsheets and delete those tabs from each one.

It should be simple to just say import one script per file and stop but I can't figure out how. HELP!!!

Thank you in advance,

Peggy

I didn't fix my problem, but I did come up with a work-around. It's perhaps a bit odd, but it gives me what I need:

I found a utility that will convert an Excel file to CSV and then back, CSV to Excel. It can convert files at bulk, meaning you can just point it to a directory and it will convert every file in that directory with the extension you specify.

Again, odd, but by converting the Excel to CSV, I only get the first worksheet, which is what I want. Then, I convert it back, and import it into RQM and I have exactly what I need.

It's three steps instead of one, but since I can covert multiple files at once and then import multiple files into RQM at once, it meets my needs.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was in a similar situation.

--Peggy :D

permanent link
Stefan Schmelz (5711821) | answered Feb 16 '12, 3:44 a.m.
Hi Peggy,

you could use:
testscript.XLSWorksheetID="SheetA"

Hope that helps.
Rgds
Stefan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.