It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tracking CRs across multiple projects

Ian Bucher (111) | asked Nov 03 '11, 1:21 p.m.
The program I am working on is broken down into 5 major workstreams. Each of the 5 workstreams contains multiple projects (25 total) all producing different applications/systems. It would look something like this:

Program (1)
>Workstream (5)
>>Projects (25)

Currently, each project is using ClearQuest to track and manage change requests specific to that particular project. The problem is that, often times, change requests affect mutiple projects, if not the entire program. We have no solution as to how to integrate and track these CRs at the mutiple project, workstream and program level since each project database is standalone.

My question is whether or not Team Concert has the capability to be configured this way where mutliple project and workstream CRs could be integrated in one application.

Any feedback would be great.

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Nov 03 '11, 7:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The program I am working on is broken down into 5 major workstreams. Each of the 5 workstreams contains multiple projects (25 total) all producing different applications/systems. It would look something like this:

Program (1)
>Workstream (5)
>>Projects (25)

Currently, each project is using ClearQuest to track and manage change requests specific to that particular project. The problem is that, often times, change requests affect mutiple projects, if not the entire program. We have no solution as to how to integrate and track these CRs at the mutiple project, workstream and program level since each project database is standalone.

My question is whether or not Team Concert has the capability to be configured this way where mutliple project and workstream CRs could be integrated in one application.

Any feedback would be great.

Hi Ian

If I have understood you correctly (and apologies if I have not) - we do something similar on jazz.net when tracking work on the core platform (JTS), and the products built on top of the JTS. Because RTC includes version control, planning and build as well as change requests, it has the concept of projects and teams/subteams built in. A single repository might represent the program, project areas representing the workstreams and then projects made up of teams on different timeslines. You are able to cross link change requests across the different areas and teams, and have dependency relationships between the change requests.

Obviously, this needs more detailed discussion, but I think you would be able to manage your change requests in RTC.

There is a lot of expertise on this topic reading the forum - so I am sure you will get some much better answers - this reply is really just some ideas for you to consider.

regards

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.