It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Data Warehouse Requirements

Sylvia Brown (2633) | asked Oct 04 '11, 12:33 p.m.
If using Oracle for your CCM database, can you use the Derby Client for your Data Warehouse without issues or limitations or is it recommended that you use Oracle for the Data Warehouse, as well?

Also, does the Data Warehouse have to be a stand-alone database or can the tables be created in the CLM database?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 05 '11, 4:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If using Oracle for your CCM database, can you use the Derby Client for your Data Warehouse without issues or limitations or is it recommended that you use Oracle for the Data Warehouse, as well?

Also, does the Data Warehouse have to be a stand-alone database or can the tables be created in the CLM database?

Hi,

a general recommendation, as I understand it, is to use Derby only for evaluations. Derby has several issues, especially scalability and performance and it is recommended to use a real database. If you look at the download pages you also can see that there is a way to get DB2 without charge. See the quote from the current download page below which supports my statements.

<<<<<<<<<<<quote>>>>>>>>>
3 Derby is included with the default install to allow quick installation for simple trials or very small teams. However, when using Derby, the server limits the number of Developer users (including 10 free, Workgroup, and IBM Enterprise Platforms) to a maximum of 10. To avoid this limitation we recommend installing using one of the DB2 editions or another supported database.

You can't put the tables for the datawarehouse into an existing database. Please follow the special install instructions for your DBMS vendor.

permanent link
Sylvia Brown (2633) | answered Oct 12 '11, 9:48 a.m.

Hi,

a general recommendation, as I understand it, is to use Derby only for evaluations. Derby has several issues, especially scalability and performance and it is recommended to use a real database. If you look at the download pages you also can see that there is a way to get DB2 without charge. See the quote from the current download page below which supports my statements.

3 Derby is included with the default install to allow quick installation for simple trials or very small teams. However, when using Derby, the server limits the number of Developer users (including 10 free, Workgroup, and IBM Enterprise Platforms) to a maximum of 10. To avoid this limitation we recommend installing using one of the DB2 editions or another supported database.

You can't put the tables for the datawarehouse into an existing database. Please follow the special install instructions for your DBMS vendor.

My apologies for not thanking you for this post sooner, Ralph. FTR, I went with Oracle for the Data Warehouse.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 12 '11, 10:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Sylvia,

glad to hear that you are making progress - that is the purpose this forum the others are supposed to help with.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.