It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Merges graph for stream is not occring in history view

shruti joshi (1003137) | asked Oct 04 '11, 5:58 a.m.
Hi,

I am using RTC 3.0.1.

If I want to generate Merge Graph for complete component or a project's stream (for all the related workitems for that component or stream) not for one file.. is it possible in history view??

For example" If I want to see all the merges happens in a stream A's history view" then how can I achieve it? I had referred the article no 447 and I am not getting " fig 5" like view in my project.

Can someone explain it to me that how can i get the complete stream merges view in history?

Thanks
shruti

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 04 '11, 7:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

as the article you refer to mentions this kind of view can be displayed for a file. As far mas I know it can also only show one file at a time. There is no view I know of that would show the "forest" of history trees for all files. It would probably not be usable either.

To view the history of a file in the Eclipse UI, select a file (from a loaded repository workspace or from the "show repository files view") right click and select "Show History".

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Oct 04 '11, 8:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I am using RTC 3.0.1.

If I want to generate Merge Graph for complete component or a project's stream (for all the related workitems for that component or stream) not for one file.. is it possible in history view??

For example" If I want to see all the merges happens in a stream A's history view" then how can I achieve it? I had referred the article no 447 and I am not getting " fig 5" like view in my project.

Can someone explain it to me that how can i get the complete stream merges view in history?

Thanks
shruti
The merge graph doesn't apply for the history of a component. In file history, each line represents a change and the graph shows how the change is related to other changes. In component history, the changes may be related to many different changes but also for different files. Imagine taking the merge graphs for all the files involved in the change sets and overlaying them. It wouldn't make sense.

If you have another suggestion to show merges, I would recommend opening an enhancement work item.

permanent link
shruti joshi (1003137) | answered Oct 05 '11, 1:09 a.m.
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, but my concern for this Merge is about showing all the changes happened in one stream. suppose I have 5 streams in a project, if I want to see the Merge tree graph for a particular stream, then how would I see that graph???
I want to see all the merges and changes happens in a stream.

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks
Shruti

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 05 '11, 3:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

you can use the compare capability on stream, component and baseline level to analyze the differences. You can select a stream and in the context menu select compare, then choose what to compare it to. This gives you a good view of incoming and outgoing changes and even scales for many changes.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Oct 05 '11, 10:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, but my concern for this Merge is about showing all the changes happened in one stream. suppose I have 5 streams in a project, if I want to see the Merge tree graph for a particular stream, then how would I see that graph???
I want to see all the merges and changes happens in a stream.

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks
Shruti

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/175240

That work item might be of interest to you. The new locate change sets UI should allow you to select multiple change sets and search for them in multiple streams. It will help if you're interested a set of related change sets.

There is currently nothing to show a merge graph of changes in a stream and no plans set. I would recommend using the current methods of comparing streams since that scopes the detail to only what's changed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.