It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Patch is empty when created from unresolved changes

Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | asked Sep 28 '11, 1:15 p.m.
I'm doing this:
* Create changes to file A.
* From the Pending Changes view, create a patch for the changes in file A and store it in the clipboard. Note that I can see the changes there, I didn't forget to refresh the client.
* From the project menu, select Apply Patch to add this patch to the list of pending patches.
* Double-click on the hunk in the patch.

I'm now greeted with a "There are no differences between the selected inputs!" message box, the changes are gone!? Isn't this patch supposed to represent the outgoing changes from which I created it?

Just for illustration, what I actually want to do is to suspend changes. However, I don't want to suspend all changes and I will keep on working on the exact same file, so creating a changeset and then suspending and resuming that will only work via merging, which is something which I'm trying to avoid ATM until I get a better grasp on the issue.

As a workaround to my problem, I can create a changeset, create a patch from that changeset and then continue from there. Just for confirmation: Should this create a different patch than the one created? I'm assuming no and that the fact that the two differ is a bug.

Cheers!

Uli

4 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 28 '11, 1:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Just to be sure, you created the patch and didn't suspend the change set? If you apply the patch again, it compares to what you currently have. Since the patch and what you have are the same, there are no changes detected.

permanent link
Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | answered Sep 29 '11, 5:15 a.m.
I'll try suspending the changes and verify this step. Anyway, assuming it works as you described, it makes me wonder if there is a way to look at just the content of a patch, i.e. without using some locally loaded files as context?

In any case, that wouldn't explain that I get the expected behaviour when using the detour with the changeset...

Uli

permanent link
Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | answered Sep 29 '11, 5:38 a.m.
I just tried, and I can confirm that the local state of the file has no effect on what is displayed. Is there a way to find out what this patch contains, like e.g. saving it to a file? I have only found such an option when creating the patch.

Uli

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 29 '11, 8:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I just tried, and I can confirm that the local state of the file has no effect on what is displayed. Is there a way to find out what this patch contains, like e.g. saving it to a file? I have only found such an option when creating the patch.

Uli
Saving to a file is no different than sending it to the clipboard. You can inspect the patch when saved to file or paste it from the clipboard into a text editor.

You might want to open a work item. It sounds there's something different about your change set that's causing unexpected behaviour with patches.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.