It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

make compiler output dir a derived item or add it to ignore?

Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | asked Sep 19 '11, 9:04 a.m.
Hi!

I'm wondering how to best treat directories with build results (logfiles, temporary files, etc). What I don't want is them to show up as pending changes, so my first approach was to add them to the ignore list. However, I stumbled across a posting where it was mentioned that you could also tell RTC that the according file or directory is a "derived item", which it then ignores, too.

So, my question is: How do those two approaches differ? Which should I use for my work here?

Thanks for any clarifications!

Uli

https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8531

Where exactly is that feature located? Is it in Eclipse only or is it also available via commandline.

One answer

permanent link
Mark Roberts (1205338) | answered Sep 19 '11, 10:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ulrich,

The main difference is in scope. The derived setting is manipulated on a per developer basis. So if you set it you will have an impact on your environment but all your team would need to do exactly the same. You can get to the derived setting by right clicking a directory in one of the explorer tools and selecting properties.

The exclude function for RTC creates the .jazzignore file which is delivered and becomes valid in everyone elses environment once they have accepted the change. The .jazzignore is effectively a team based control over what gets checked in and delivered. I think that is a better approach for you to use.

Hi!

I'm wondering how to best treat directories with build results (logfiles, temporary files, etc). What I don't want is them to show up as pending changes, so my first approach was to add them to the ignore list. However, I stumbled across a posting where it was mentioned that you could also tell RTC that the according file or directory is a "derived item", which it then ignores, too.

So, my question is: How do those two approaches differ? Which should I use for my work here?

Thanks for any clarifications!

Uli

https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8531

Where exactly is that feature located? Is it in Eclipse only or is it also available via commandline.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.