It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Forum usability needs improvements

Guido Schneider (3.4k1491115) | asked Sep 12 '11, 2:44 p.m.
closed Jun 11 '12, 10:28 p.m. by Seth Packham (1.4k42213)
I need a lot of nerves working in the forum. The usability for searching topics, navigating in the search results, switching back and forwards between pages or within the search results is not good enough.

Examples:
- if I search for some topics, I get a list of found forum entries. If I click on one, I get this entry.
The previous/next buttons should now navigate within the search results.
If I'm using the back button of the browser I get a page expired message and can search again.
- the search mask with the radio buttons is suboptimal. Take an example on other search engine.

What is the experiance and feeling of other users of the forum?

The question has been closed for the following reason: "Problem is not reproducible or outdated" by packham Jun 11 '12, 10:28 p.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Seth Packham (1.4k42213) | answered Jun 11 '12, 10:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The forum is now upgraded to an all-new software and Q and A model.
Seth Packham selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | answered Nov 21 '11, 12:48 p.m.
The problem that the back button doesn't do anything helpful could be worked around by opening the search result in a new tab, many browsers have the middle mouse button bound to that.

Concerning searching, you can restrict at least one search engine to only show results from a single website using "site:jazz.net" in the search string, which makes this more bearable.

In my experience I had a few such timeouts, too. However, they bit me when writing posts which always caused frustration and loss of time. Oh, and concerning the time, it isn't displayed correctly in the forum overview, but only when I'm logged in.

That said, this really looks like a 5-year old phpBB installation according to the "Powered by phpBB 2001, 2005 phpBB Group". Newer versions probably exist, maybe the powers that are could consider an upgrade.

Good evening!

Uli