It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to force mandatory parent upon Work Item Saving?

Wai Hung Lau (21165) | asked Aug 31 '11, 3:31 a.m.
We would like to create a work item type called "Coding Task". And for each coding task, its linked parent must be a "Story" task (mandatory). How can we enforce such validation? Thank you.

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 31 '11, 4:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
We would like to create a work item type called "Coding Task". And for each coding task, its linked parent must be a "Story" task (mandatory). How can we enforce such validation? Thank you.

One way to do it is creating an advisor. See this article:https://jazz.net/library/article/634

permanent link
Wai Hung Lau (21165) | answered Aug 31 '11, 9:29 p.m.

One way to do it is creating an advisor. See this article:https://jazz.net/library/article/634

So is there any out-of-the-box setting or work around if I could not create an advisor?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Sep 01 '11, 5:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Not that I would be aware of.

Comments
Rachel Biderman commented Feb 11 '14, 8:28 a.m.

We are having a similar requirement - we want to allow creation of task only if it has some parent link.

I read in another thread a suggestion to add custom attribute of WI - which i did.
So i am fine with this solution, since they i can configure it as required attribute,
But the open question is: how can i automatically upon save - add a link to parent according to the value of the custom attribute "Parent"?
i hoped some java script can do that or i must have a participant for this? (then i can have instead of this all workaround an advisor like you suggested earlier, just trying to save the plug in development)
Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.