It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Eclipse does not like loading mutliple sandboxes

Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | asked Aug 29 '11, 10:51 p.m.
While it is possible to load multiple repo workspaces in different sandboxes, Eclipse gets confused about bringing conflicting projects out in the Explorer views. When I try to load multiple repo workspaces that have common projects, the load works fine, but Eclipse errors complaining about the overlapping project names.

Has anyone figured out to work in Eclipse with multiple sandboxes (where the sandboxes contain conflicting project names)?

Will load rules help here, perhaps including the repo workspace name in the path?

Many thanks.

14 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 30 '11, 6:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that this is an Eclipse constraint, unrelated to RTC. Since
Eclipse is an IDE, what did you expect it to do with those multiple
variants of the same project, i.e. which one should the debugger step
into when a function in that project is called?

Cheers,
Geoff

On 8/29/2011 10:53 PM, harryk wrote:
While it is possible to load multiple repo workspaces in different
sandboxes, Eclipse gets confused about bringing conflicting projects
out in the Explorer views. When I try to load multiple repo
workspaces that have common projects, the load works fine, but
Eclipse errors complaining about the overlapping project names.

Has anyone figured out to work in Eclipse with multiple sandboxes
(where the sandboxes contain conflicting project names)?

Will load rules help here, perhaps including the repo workspace name
in the path?

Many thanks.

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Sep 19 '11, 1:29 p.m.
Thanks for the reply Geoff. Yes, I can understand it's an Eclipse limitation. But I was curious if anyone found a way around it. For example, can we open multiple Package Explorer views with each referencing a different sandbox. Or is there some other workaround? I would bet others have had this problem<p>
Also, from a customer's perspective, RTC may be able to load mulitple sandboxes, but can only access one. The fact that it's an "Eclipse issue" doesn't really matter to them (maybe RTC should have been built on a better IDE :). They just understand loading multiple sandboxes is not nearly as useful as they thought. And this question did originate with a customer.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 19 '11, 2:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is important that a customer distinguishes their IDE from their SCM
system. This is of course less obvious, when there is a seamlessly
integrated SCM plugin for the IDE, such as RTC provides for Eclipse, but
for questions like this, it is an essential distinction.

In particular, RTC SCM is happy to let you load files into as many
sandboxes as you want ... just load them as files, and not as Eclipse
projects (loading them as Eclipse projects is what activates the Eclipse
IDE semantics).

On the other hand, Eclipse is not willing to let you load two variants
of the same project, from RTC SCM or from any other source. A (not very
good) workaround for Eclipse is rename one of the Eclipse projects, and
manually unload one and load the other when you want to "swap" one
variant for the other. The reason I say "not very good" workaround, is
that it is guaranteed to produce confusion, as developers forgot what
variant they currently have loaded, and what variant has a given change.

The real workaround is to just use multiple Eclipse workspaces, one for
each repository workspace.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 9/19/2011 1:38 PM, harryk wrote:
Thanks for the reply Geoff. Yes, I can understand it's an Eclipse
limitation. But I was curious if anyone found a way around it. For
example, can we open multiple Package Explorer views with each
referencing a different sandbox. Or is there some other workaround?
I would bet others have had this problem<p
Also, from a customer's perspective, RTC may be able to load mulitple
sandboxes, but can only access one. The fact that it's an
"Eclipse issue" doesn't really matter to them (maybe RTC
should have been built on a better IDE :). They just understand
loading multiple sandboxes is not nearly as useful as they thought.
And this question did originate with a customer.

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267065) | answered Sep 26 '11, 8:22 a.m.
Hello Geoff,

Same issue with my customer.

There is a need to load several environments (same components involved) to one workspace and there is a duplicate .project issue.
We are aware to the technical constrain from Eclipse, but..
The customer does not to be ruled by the eclipse constrains (they do not develop within Eclipse).
From the other hand, loading without the .project file will not enable them to perform simple SCM operations, such as "move" / "rename".
So, I think that we should address that challenge.
I find myself explaining about RTC issues Vs Eclipse issues, but from the customer's point of view it is all the tool's issue.

Do we have a better approach for that?

Thanks,

Yaron

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Sep 26 '11, 9:50 a.m.
Hi Yaron,

If they do not develop in Eclipse, I don't believe there is an issue.

Select "Advanced" when loading a repo workspace and choose a different sandbox. Separate sandboxes allow us to simultaneously load multiple repo workspaces with conflicting component/project names:

c:\sandboxes\V1.1-workspace
c:\sandboxes\V2.0-workspace
c:\sandboxes\customerX-workspace

And these separate directories work fine outside of Eclipse.

The challenge is if you want to stay in Eclipse to access projects in those additional sandboxes.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 26 '11, 10:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You may want to try loading the root folders of the components as projects into a second sandbox. In the load wizard, pick "Load the root folders of the components as projects" and check the component nodes instead of the projects. This will load it in Eclipse with projects under a folder with the same name as the component.

Some support for load rules is also coming in the next release. This will allow you to create a file describing what to load and where that can be reused by others.

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=85020

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267065) | answered Sep 26 '11, 2:39 p.m.
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.

Geoff, this is right that it can be done by loading to separate sandboxes.

But, if you load similar configurations, for example 2 repository workspaces that include same "component A", the result will be error while loading the second one.

Again, the same .project file that includes same project.

Please also note that the .project file is needed since this is enables you to use the package explorer and perform actions such as rename / move.

I think that this behavior should be treated as Sreerupa addressed at the RTC - VS integration.
There should be a management for sandboxes and an ablity to "switch" sandboxes within the eclipse workspace.

Does it sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Yaron

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 26 '11, 4:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.

Geoff, this is right that it can be done by loading to separate sandboxes.

But, if you load similar configurations, for example 2 repository workspaces that include same "component A", the result will be error while loading the second one.

Again, the same .project file that includes same project.

Please also note that the .project file is needed since this is enables you to use the package explorer and perform actions such as rename / move.

I think that this behavior should be treated as Sreerupa addressed at the RTC - VS integration.
There should be a management for sandboxes and an ablity to "switch" sandboxes within the eclipse workspace.

Does it sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Yaron

The method I described allows you to load the same components to different sandboxes but have the content show up in Eclipse. You can still rename/move files that RTC will recognize as rename/move actions. I think it should satisfy your needs since your developers do not develop in Eclipse.

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267065) | answered Sep 27 '11, 9:02 a.m.
Hi,

Are you sure that you can download same components (from other repository workspaces) to different sanboxes with .project created?

I have tries to perform the following and the second load has errors such as:

"There were 1 errors. After correcting the problems, it is recommended that components be reloaded. The reload will be incremental, loading only the missing items. You can further reduce the reload time by reloading just the projects out of sync.
Unable to open project at D:/RTC_WS/duplicate-sandbox/user2/component1, project with name component1 already exists"

Again, it seems that it is Eclipse problem having 2 .project files with same project name.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 27 '11, 10:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are you loading the component root as a folder?

Only the component should be selected so that it creates a parent folder and all the projects are loaded into it. The radio option to "Load and create projects for the selected folders" should be selected. The other options will create project name collisions or not create Eclipse projects for you.

https://jazz.net/library/article/192

Refer to the loading content article and the section "Loading a Folder More Than Once". It has another method of loading a project twice using the Load As.. action.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.