It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tomcat as a Service issues with Derby db location

Michael Brown (10111) | asked Aug 26 '11, 8:58 a.m.
I'm current evaluating RTC 3.0.1, and I'm having a very strange issue. I'm running with a default installation (Tomcat / Derby). I've configured Tomcat to run as a service on a 64-bit windows machine using the topic from the InfoCenter (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_run_rqm64_win_service.html).

I forgot one (important) step, though - to update the paths in the properties files to absolute locations. However, the server has been running without issue for about a month with that configuration.

I've now added quite a few users to the system for evaluation and derby is no longer cutting it, so I'm planning to upgrade to DB2 Express.

Here's where the problem comes in. Whenever I attempt to do a repotools export, it exports 3 total items (even though I've got 2 project areas, a couple hundred workitems and some source code in the repository) and leaves the repository in an unusable state (with 0 project areas, users, etc etc). I've also tried manually updating the properties files to specify absolute paths, but that also results in leaving the repository in an unusable state.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

One answer

permanent link
John Vasta (2.6k15) | answered Aug 29 '11, 11:31 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Your actual Derby databases may be in some other location (other than the default location under server/conf/(jts,ccm,qm). The location would be relative to the working directory of the server process, when it is running as a service. When you first setup the servers, they would have created that location if it didn't already exist, and initialized the databases. I suggest you scan your entire filesystem for folders named "repositoryDB" to find out where the real databases are, then, assuming you find them, modify the teamserver.properties files to reference their absolute pathnames (with the servers shut down). Then you should be able to export.

I'm current evaluating RTC 3.0.1, and I'm having a very strange issue. I'm running with a default installation (Tomcat / Derby). I've configured Tomcat to run as a service on a 64-bit windows machine using the topic from the InfoCenter (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_run_rqm64_win_service.html).

I forgot one (important) step, though - to update the paths in the properties files to absolute locations. However, the server has been running without issue for about a month with that configuration.

I've now added quite a few users to the system for evaluation and derby is no longer cutting it, so I'm planning to upgrade to DB2 Express.

Here's where the problem comes in. Whenever I attempt to do a repotools export, it exports 3 total items (even though I've got 2 project areas, a couple hundred workitems and some source code in the repository) and leaves the repository in an unusable state (with 0 project areas, users, etc etc). I've also tried manually updating the properties files to specify absolute paths, but that also results in leaving the repository in an unusable state.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.