It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Implementing RTC in a legacy CC/CQ environment

Shelby Phillips (29624621) | asked Jun 24 '08, 1:14 p.m.
Hello - I am currently working on implementing RTC as a supplement/pilot to our current UCM Enabled ClearQuest / ClearCase implementation, and was wondering what limitations we may run into attempting to run our legacy environment in conjunction with RTC (plus the CC and CQ connectors). The plan is to pilot RTC to a subset of users and have them interact with current environment through RTC, while maintaining the environment as it stands today for the remaining users.

My current understanding is that the following are key limitations:

a. Our CQ record types require scripted "hooks." Since RTC does not support this functionality, use of the CQ connector would be limited. This includes basic tasks such as viewing record types, and would not allow for workflow changes.

b. The CC Connector has no integration with CQ Activities as they exist today. We would need to either check in /out elements in RTC with no activity or use RTC work items. Given the limitations of point a), checkin / checkout functionality could not be utilized.

Please confirm if these limitations are correct, if other limitations exist, and if there are alternatives to rolling out such a solution.

Thanks.

6 answers

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Jun 24 '08, 2:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Shelby,

My interpretation of the first limitation, which may not be correct, is does RTC have a similar hook-like mechanism which has functionality that restricts what records a user can view or restricts who can perform a state change. RTC has something called behaviors, which defines preconditions and follow-up actions for individual operations, https://jazz.net/jazzdocs/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.concert.doc/helpindex_rtc.htm. Currently, I don't think read access can be denied to anything. If I'm totally off on this interpretation, please provide more information on what you understand to be a limitation.

Lorelei
Jazz CQ Connector Team

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 24 '08, 4:01 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
shelbyph wrote:
My current understanding is that the following are key limitations:

a. Our CQ record types require scripted "hooks." Since RTC
does not support this functionality, use of the CQ connector would be
limited. This includes basic tasks such as viewing record types, and
would not allow for workflow changes.

Lorelei started a thread responding to discuss limitation a, so I'll
focus this response on b.

b. The CC Connector has no integration with CQ Activities as they
exist today. We would need to either check in /out elements in RTC
with no activity or use RTC work items. Given the limitations of
point a), checkin / checkout functionality could not be utilized.

The CC Connector does have an integration with CQ Activities. In
particular, for a CQ-enabled UCM project, a CQ activity is required to
bringover changes from RTC to ClearCase, so the CC Connector
automatically creates the necessary CQ activity when bringing over the
changes). In addition, the CC Connector adds to the description field
of this CQ activity the names of the RTC workitems that are associated
with the changes that have been brought over.

If you are also using the CQ Connector, then you can have the CQ
Connector automatically create RTC workitems for the CQ activities that
you want to be worked on in RTC, and then those CQ activities will be
identified in the description field of the CQ activity created by the CC
Connector.

Please confirm if these limitations are correct, if other limitations
exist, and if there are alternatives to rolling out such a solution.

We have tried to document the known limitations in the dynamic help of
all RTC clients (Managing change and releases > Configuring and using
the ClearCase Connector > Known limitations and workarounds in this
release). There also is a tech-note on deploying the connectors on the
web:
<https>

permanent link
Shelby Phillips (29624621) | answered Jun 25 '08, 10:22 a.m.
Shelby,

My interpretation of the first limitation, which may not be correct, is does RTC have a similar hook-like mechanism which has functionality that restricts what records a user can view or restricts who can perform a state change. RTC has something called behaviors, which defines preconditions and follow-up actions for individual operations, https://jazz.net/jazzdocs/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.concert.doc/helpindex_rtc.htm. Currently, I don't think read access can be denied to anything. If I'm totally off on this interpretation, please provide more information on what you understand to be a limitation.

Lorelei
Jazz CQ Connector Team

Lorelei. Let me explain in more detail about what I am referring to as "hooks" in CQ. Our current implementation has a series of custom Perl scripts that are run based on the record type and action performed on an activity. For example, the ability to send emails to users based on some action (for example, closing an activity, or assigning a user to an activity) or the ability to generate multiple new activities from within one activity (for example, creating a Peer Review activity with many associated Review Activities). These "hooks" exist in custom built scripts to control the behavior of the system based on user actions by record type.

Is this type of functionality currently supported?

permanent link
Shelby Phillips (29624621) | answered Jun 25 '08, 10:48 a.m.
Geoff, some follow ups:

the CC Connector
automatically creates the necessary CQ activity when bringing over the
changes).

For this automatic creation of CQ activities from within RTC via the connector, is it possible to choose the record type of the activity? When this activity is created, will the CQ "hooks" mentioned in my above post be triggered?

identified in the description field of the CQ activity created by the CC
Connector.

This statement seems a bit recursive. Let me make sure I understand. The RTC CQ connector will synchronize with CQ and create new Work Items based on Activities within CQ. Then, when the CC Connector creates new Activities in CQ (as mentioned above), it will reference the CQ Activities that were synched as new Work Items. Not sure I see what the benefit is there. Could you please clarify?

permanent link
John Vasta (2.6k15) | answered Jun 25 '08, 2:37 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Lorelei. Let me explain in more detail about what I am referring to as "hooks" in CQ. Our current implementation has a series of custom Perl scripts that are run based on the record type and action performed on an activity. For example, the ability to send emails to users based on some action (for example, closing an activity, or assigning a user to an activity) or the ability to generate multiple new activities from within one activity (for example, creating a Peer Review activity with many associated Review Activities). These "hooks" exist in custom built scripts to control the behavior of the system based on user actions by record type.

Is this type of functionality currently supported?

Briefly, the Process component of Jazz allows one to define "preconditions" and "follow-up actions" for a process-enabled operation (such as saving a work item). Preconditions execute before the operation and can prevent execution of the operation, and follow-up actions execute after the operation. Currently, preconditions and follow-up actions must be implemented as Java code, extending either the Team Concert client or Jazz Team Server. Furthermore, such extensions are not "officially" supported in the RTC 1.0 release, but users are welcome to experiment with them to learn the capabilities of the platform.

For more information on the Process component in general and on customization, see

https://jazz.net/learn/LearnItem.jsp?href=content/docs/process/index.html

John
Jazz CQ Connector Team

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 25 '08, 5:07 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
gmclemmwrote:
the CC Connector automatically creates the necessary CQ activity
when bringing over the changes).

shelbyph wrote:
For this automatic creation of CQ activities from within RTC via the
connector, is it possible to choose the record type of the activity?
When this activity is created, will the CQ "hooks"
mentioned in my above post be triggered?

The type of the CQ activity that is created is always
UCMUtilityActivity, a record type that is predefined by the CQ UCM
package. If you have hooks associated with that record type, they will
fire.

identified in the description field of the CQ activity created by
the CC Connector.

This statement seems a bit recursive. Let me make sure I understand.
The RTC CQ connector will synchronize with CQ and create new Work
Items based on Activities within CQ. Then, when the CC Connector
creates new Activities in CQ (as mentioned above), it will reference
the CQ Activities that were synched as new Work Items. Not sure I see
what the benefit is there. Could you please clarify?

The benefit is that this information lets you know (by looking at
information in CC/CQ) what Work Items were associated with the changes
that were brought over from RTC to ClearCase.

For details on this, please see sections 9 and 10 of the word document
attached to workitem 58304 (this is an article that will soon be posted
to jazz.net).

Cheers,
Geoff

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.