It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Exception on Startup, yesterday all was fine...

Martin Erzberger (131199) | asked Aug 10 '11, 3:58 a.m.
Hello

Our RTC server shuts down every night for a backup and then restarts again. This night, the restart did not succed, the server throws an exception over and over again:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The service 'com.ibm.team.repository.internal.service.auth.impl.JAuthHandler@9020902' failed to find the required service 'interface com.ibm.team.repository.service.IServerQueryService'.  Check <prerequisites> in plugin.xml.

at com.ibm.team.repository.service.AbstractService.getService(AbstractService.java:734)...

Server reboot or manual RTC startup has no effect.
I don't even know where to start looking for the problem, does anyone have an idea?

Thanks! Martin

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 10 '11, 7:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Martin,

I would create a PMR (if you have support) or a critical work item on Jazz.net.

Please provide which version of RTC, the Operating system, the database etc.

In parallel I would suggest to carefully read the app server logs and also the database logs when restarting. The error that shows up repeatedly might not be the error that is causing the problem. This

interface com.ibm.team.repository.service.IServerQueryService
indicates that something else is wrong which causes this. I don't know what, the database would be a possibility.

permanent link
Martin Erzberger (131199) | answered Aug 10 '11, 7:38 a.m.
I don't know what, the database would be a possibility.

Hi

Just a minute ago, I finished upgrading to 3.0 ifix 1 (I can't upgrade to 3.0.1 for internal reasons), and got a very different error this time.
I then ran the setup assistant again, which claims "ORA-28001: the password has expired".
So it looks like you are right with your guess, I'll know in an hour or two (that's how long it takes to reset the password).

Anyway: The exception I posted was the only one that I found (in tomcat/logs/localhost.xxxx.log). Where would I find the database log?

Thanks! Martin

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 10 '11, 7:46 a.m.
Hi Martin,

the logs might roll over, if you get too many errors then the first ones get overwritten, I guess. So deleting the logs and a fresh restart might help, if you stop the server early enough.

The database logs are dependent on the database you use. Derby does not log much at Tomcat I have a derby log in the server directory.

DB2 has logs dependent on you Operating system, I would suggest to ask a web search engine for your case.

Good luck.

permanent link
Martin Erzberger (131199) | answered Aug 10 '11, 9:48 a.m.
Final post: After resetting the database passwort, RTC resumed working.
I am pretty sure (but can't prove it anymore) that the root cause (the SQL Exception stating that the password has expired) was not loggged anywhere within RTC. Instead I got the exception that I posted initially, which did not give me any useful hint for problem solving.
-> Some room for improvement ;-)

Thanks for the help and best regards, Martin

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 10 '11, 10:20 a.m.
Final post: After resetting the database passwort, RTC resumed working.
I am pretty sure (but can't prove it anymore) that the root cause (the SQL Exception stating that the password has expired) was not loggged anywhere within RTC. Instead I got the exception that I posted initially, which did not give me any useful hint for problem solving.
-> Some room for improvement ;-)

Thanks for the help and best regards, Martin

Good that you are up again now.

My suggestion is to always look into the database logs in such cases. Also the logs roll over, I think, so that is why you won't see the original error if the log is filling over the threshold.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.