It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Avoid creation of Snapshot during build?

Vijay Reddy Gaddam (562841) | asked Feb 05 '15, 5:04 a.m.
edited Feb 05 '15, 5:15 a.m.
 Hi,

During normal build, Automated snapshot is created every time when a build is triggered as soon as the build has been triggered.
To avoid Snapshot creation we have personal build option which is selected during the triggering of every build.

Now what is need is:
When a normal build has been triggered, I don't want to have the creation of snapshot without selecting the personal build.

Can we achieve this functionality?
If so can some please help me out.

I use RTC 4.0.4 version and 'Rational Build Forge' build template which has 'Jazz Source Control' tab included.

I have some more questions related to this:
1. How a snapshot is auto created as soon as the build as been triggered?
2. Is 'Jazz Source Control' tab configuration is responsible for the creation of snapshot?

Thanks and Regards,
Vijay.

Comments
Evan Hughes commented Feb 05 '15, 12:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Why don't you want to create a snapshot during the build? As Ralph points out, the snapshot is created so that users can recreate the exact state of the build so they can reproduce/fix test failures when the build runs. 

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 05 '15, 5:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 05 '15, 5:47 a.m.
The question is kind of confusing.

The reason why no snapshots are created during the personal build is due to the fact, that the build user does (usually) have no permission to create the snapshot. The personal workspace is read-only for the build user. Hence there is no way to create the snapshot.

For private builds it is usually impossible to create a snapshot.

The Jazz SCM load tab is doing the load as well as the snapshot creation.

The reason why the snapshot is create is to be able to recreate that configuration from the build result. This can not be switched off for public builds, as far as I am aware.. What you can try is:

1. Don't use that tab and use the SCM commandline in your build scripts to load the workspace. In this case you have full control over creating and not creating a snapshot. You can create a snapshot during your build process based on your own criteria using the scm commandline
  2. Try to use a build workspace that is not owned by the build user - in this case you can never create a snapshot, if it works at all.

Comments
Vijay Reddy Gaddam commented Feb 05 '15, 5:58 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for a good information.

I have some doubt regarding the usage of build workspace,
When I use a workspace for which build user is not the owner then also a snapshot is created while doing public builds.

Other than command line is there any other option to avoid the creation of snapshot please?

Thanks and Regards
Vijay

Vijay Reddy Gaddam commented Feb 05 '15, 7:16 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Can I create a new customised build definition template such that it will not create a snapshot for public builds?

Thanks and Regards,
Vijay.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 05 '15, 7:24 a.m. | edited Feb 05 '15, 7:25 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Nothing that I am aware of.                   

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.