It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Warning when adding predefined query to copy shared queries

Phillip Piper (15812524) | asked Aug 02 '11, 1:49 p.m.
So I've read about the ability to make a query predefined so you can attempt to move it as part of the exported process template or even just to copy the XML from one source to another per these:
https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12849
https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15436
https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14012

My ultimate goal is to copy hundreds of shared queries from one repository to another. However, here are the issues/questions I have and what I am trying to do.

All the threads say that you have add the shared query as a predefined query. When I do that I get a message that says:
"This query cannot be used in a process template."
The reasons state that the File Against and Planned For reference values that are not part of the process template.

From what I've seen and tried, work item categories don't appear to be saved as part of the process template so I understand that but the timelines/iterations are (minus specific dates). Is this because even though they are on the template the IDs are different in each repository or even in each created project area? Or is there something else I need to add to my saved process template.

As for my complete steps to move shared queries this is what I am attempting:
1. Add shared query as predefined on repository A in the process configuration tab. Do not save the process template.
2. Go to the process configuration source and locate the queries in the XML. Copy all the queries in the source.
3. Go to my other repository and its project area created from the same process template. Paste in the queries source into the XML of the process configuration source tab. Save the configuration.
4. I now have all my queries saved and listed as predefined queries but they get errors when run.
5. For each moved query that encounters an error, select to edit.
6. I find essentially a shell of the query and have to select the specific items that are missing because they are not in the process template such as File Against values and Planned for values.
7. On the details tab of the query, select to unshare from the whole project area and share with the specific team area as they were on the source repository. Save query.
8. Remove the moved queries from predefined queries and save the project area again.
9. I should have my working queries shared in the same location as they were and no longer predefined.

While this is still a fair amount of manual work, it appears that it would be less than creating hundreds of queries from scratch.

Does anybody see any issues with these steps or any reason why they would or should not work?

2 answers

permanent link
Yohko Tanaka (10523239) | answered Nov 02 '11, 7:19 a.m.
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. Is there any update on this?

A query that I'd like to add in a process template is something like "All defects that are not assigned yet".
To query this, I need to add a condition that queries "owner" is "unassigned".
But when I added this query in a process template, I saw the same error and the process doesn't include the query correctly.

I really appreciate it if you could provide me any information.

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Nov 10 '11, 2:14 p.m.
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. Is there any update on this?

A query that I'd like to add in a process template is something like "All defects that are not assigned yet".
To query this, I need to add a condition that queries "owner" is "unassigned".
But when I added this query in a process template, I saw the same error and the process doesn't include the query correctly.

I really appreciate it if you could provide me any information.

Yohko, I never received a concrete answer here. But my suspicion is that the values for those fields had IDs that were unique to the previous repository. In my case, I didn't need to add these queries permanently to the process configuration, I was just using this as a hack to somehow port shared queries over to our new repository.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.