It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRDI Install on AIX - WAS bitness, 5-part IM Repo

Larry McCarthy (2102224) | asked Jul 20 '11, 10:58 a.m.
I know there's an Insight forum, but the RRDI install page says to come here with my RRDI questions. So, here I am.

Anyway, preparing to install RRDI on AIX 6.1. How I determine the 32-bitness of my WAS 7.0.0.15 installation? Is it just the JVM? That says:

# java -fullversion
java full version "J2RE 1.5.0 IBM AIX build pap32devifx-20110211b (SR12 FP3 +IZ94331)"

Or, how do I tell?

Now, about the multi-part IM repo for RRDI. I downloaded and unpacked all 5 pieces, each into their own directory. I fire up IM and start adding the repos (File -> Preferences -> etc.). The first one goes fine. When I try to add disk2 I get: "Wrong Disk. Expected Disk 1, got Disk 2"

What is IM trying to say with that?

Thanks for you help.

- Larry.

One answer

permanent link
Larry McCarthy (2102224) | answered Jul 22 '11, 10:52 a.m.
So, here's what I found:

No, that's not the way to determine WAS' bitness. It was a 64-bit WAS. And they're not kidding when they say you need a 32-bit WAS. The installation was DOA on 64-bit WAS.

re: The 5-part RRDI download: First, it's actually a 6-part download (D'Oh!). If IM needs parts 2-6 (a.k.a. Disks 2-6) it'll ask you for the path to the next part/Disk it needs. Mundane installs like Linux/x86 fit in the first part/disk. Exotic installs like AIX ask for all 6 parts. No unattended installs for you AIX types. Also, you'll need buckets of space in /opt - 10GB for RRDI, plus whatever a 32-bit WAS install needs (DB2 9.7 was already installed; if you need that, add that in, too). Plus table space (I put that in /home). Plus 8GB for the IM repos, if you keep those locally (just for the duration).

- Larry.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.