It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Associating defects with a particular build

Mark Wainwright (46137) | asked Jul 13 '11, 12:01 p.m.
In the RTC 3.0.1 defect editor, how can you add a link between the defect and a particular RTC build? There's a bunch of different types of link you can create, but builds isn't one of them.

I know you can create and associate defects if you do first go to the build and then, underneath "Reported Work Items" use the create/associate work item links, but I'd really like to be able to create the links without needing to open the build up first.

Can I do this?

2 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jun 16 '13, 3:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 17 '13, 10:08 a.m.
Hi Mark, this is not currently possible -- it has to be done via the build.  Please see existing enhancement request Allow adding a "Reported against builds" link in the Work Item editor (69802)

One trick I use for quickly getting to builds for definitions I care about is to add them to the Builds view's list of preferred definitions (Configure... item in first toolbar button's drop-down).

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 16 '13, 8:51 p.m.
edited Jun 17 '13, 1:02 p.m.
well, the ugly way is to make a Build a Release,  then the Defects  'Found In' will be that Release/Build.

as part of my prior job, I researched creating a new workitem, Delivery, which contained all the metadata about the artifact. and the workflow to document approvals/rejections before automation could deliver that object to its target channel(s).

Then the Defect workitem contained list elements for Found In, Delivered In and Target Release.  The Delivery types had an attribute that covered the lifecycle of the artifacts from Build, To Fix, to Product.   then you can mix/match those as appropriate.
Story workitems could also link to the deliverable their content resides in.
Note that this is different than Planned For, which is an iteration cycle not the actual deliverable artifact.

only trouble spot was the Link on a build record to 'Create a Release'.

an annoyance is the fact that you can't filter the select/create workitem to a particular type.
I added an enhancement for that https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/265971

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.