It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Questions about the builds

Carmelo Merino (931313) | asked Jul 12 '11, 10:49 a.m.
I'm a little bit confused about the build process. We want to use a z machine to do the build but we have had some problems.

Till now I've installed the following elements:

1. Client: RTC 3.0.1 in RDz 8.0.2 under Windows XP 64.

2. Server: RTC 3.0.1 Server in a virtual machine with Windows. I've installed it using Installation Manager. I've also installed the Build System Toolkit, although I think it isn't necessary since we want to use zOS.

3. We've also installed the Build System Toolkit and the Rational Build Agent in zOS.

Now the questions:

1. I've been trying to reproduce the tutorial Using an Ant with Enterprise Extensions build to compile a COBOL application, but the lesson 3 is configuring the Rational Build Agent on the Jazz Team Server. I found that surprising, because I thought that the Build Agent had to be installed in zOS. Have I understood something wrong?

2. The same lesson 3 says that I've to use "https://<yourserver>:9443/jazz" to log in, but I get an error when I use "jazz" in the url. I have to use "jts" instead. Is that normal?

3. Still in the lesson 3. Under "Configuration" -> "Advanced Properties", I should find "Build Agent", but I can't find it. I think I may have forgotten to install something, but I don't know what. Can someone tell me what do I have to install in order to make the build process work?

Thank you!

5 answers

permanent link
Carmelo Merino (931313) | answered Jul 13 '11, 3:52 a.m.
Well, at least I've found the answer to my third question ...

I've to use "https://<yourserver>:9443/ccm" instead of "https://<yourserver>:9443/jazz", and then "Application -> Configuration -> Advanced Properties". It seems as if the documentation needed to be updated ...

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jul 13 '11, 9:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

Sorry for the slow response.
Q1. I think this is just some confusion regarding names... and it is an understandable confusion. There is the 'Rational Build Agent' which is code that runs on the Jazz Team Server. This is capable of talking to 'Build Forge Agents'. Essentially, the 'Rational Build Agent' is a port of a subset of the functionality contained in the Build Forge Server into the RTC environment.

The Build Forge Agent is the thing that needs to be installed on z/OS. The Rational Build Agent running on the Jazz Team Server will service the build request, if the build request is for a build on z/OS then it will contact the Build Forge Agent on the z/OS machine and send it work to be done to accomplish the build

Q2/Q3 ..... yeah, it should probably say to to use the context root of the RTC server that you chose when you set the server up.

Guy

permanent link
Carmelo Merino (931313) | answered Jul 13 '11, 10:05 a.m.
There is the 'Rational Build Agent' which is code that runs on the Jazz Team Server. The Build Forge Agent is the thing that needs to be installed on z/OS.

Thank for the answer!

But I don't have to install anything else but the Jazz Team Server, do I? I mean, the 'Rational Build Agent' comes already with RTC, and I only have to install the Build Forge Agent on z/OS. Am I right?

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jul 13 '11, 1:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

yes, you are correct. You don't need to install anything else other than the RTC product... the Rational Build Agent (RBA) is part of the RTC server (splitting hairs here)..... the RBA is not actually part of JTS.

And on z/OS you wold install the Build Forge Agent as part of the Build Toolkit installation. There are other things in the Build Toolkit that are required for z/OS builds for example some required Ant tasks.

Guy

permanent link
Carmelo Merino (931313) | answered Jul 14 '11, 8:16 a.m.
Ok, thank you!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.