It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating RTC Oracle data from RTC 2.0 to RTC 3.0.1

Aleksey Karlov (76108) | asked Jul 11 '11, 1:22 p.m.
I read Rational RTC help on how to migrate Oracle database.

Unfortunatelly it does not explain how to migrate data from Oracle Database for RTC 2.0 to Oracle Database for RTC 3.0.1. Is there manual for that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex K

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jul 12 '11, 4:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I read Rational RTC help on how to migrate Oracle database.

Unfortunatelly it does not explain how to migrate data from Oracle Database for RTC 2.0 to Oracle Database for RTC 3.0.1. Is there manual for that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex K

Hi

You may be looking in the wrong place - check the documentation for upgrading from RTC v2 to v3. Moving to a new version of RTC (but staying on the same database type) is an upgrade, not a migration.

Let us know via the forum if you don't find the upgrade information.

regards
anthony

permanent link
Aleksey Karlov (76108) | answered Jul 12 '11, 2:16 p.m.
Hi

You may be looking in the wrong place - check the documentation for upgrading from RTC v2 to v3. Moving to a new version of RTC (but staying on the same database type) is an upgrade, not a migration.

Let us know via the forum if you don't find the upgrade information.

regards
anthony

Hello Anthony,

I found the link for migration RTC 2 to 3.0.1
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_upgrade_jts.html

I am not sure if there are typos or is it written poorly. I don't have repotool-jazz not in my old 2.0 install nor in 3.0.1 install. So I am not sure where do I run these commands.
So I did run repotoll export and repotool-jts import. Import end up with errors that I can'd figure out.
I oppened PMR with tech support, no luck, they are not responding.
I now can see all users in new RTC 3.0.1, but no projects, sprints, backlogs, etc.

Documentation is totally unclear on what was imported and how.
I look at the database it is full of data, but nothing comes up in the GUI, but user info...

permanent link
Gail Burati (611) | answered Jul 15 '11, 1:25 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi there -

The repotools-jazz is created during the 3.0.1 install if, during the install, you indicate that you are upgrading from RTC 2 and therefore need to maintain the jazz context root. Otherwise, a repotools-ccm is installed by default. The context root choice impacts other aspects of the install so it would not be enough to just rename the repotools-ccm file. It turns out to be easier to reinstall rather than try to make all these changes.

Also, there are a few decisions you will need to make as part of the RTC 2 to 3.0.1 upgrade. For example, do you want the JTS to be co-located on the same server as your RTC application? Even if you currently want them co-located, you may want to consider using a different virtual host name or alias for the Public URI you'll be establishing for the JTS at 3.0.1 so that you have the option of moving them to separate machines in the future. You can find info on this and other planning aspects here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_upgrade_consideration.html

Once you've done all your planning and created the JTS and data warehouse databases, there are upgrade wrapper scripts that can walk you through the repotools cmds that will do the file merging, user synchronization, etc. These scripts are described here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_upgrade_rtc2_auto_scripts.html

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Gail

permanent link
Aleksey Karlov (76108) | answered Jul 15 '11, 4:22 p.m.
Hi there -

The repotools-jazz is created during the 3.0.1 install if, during the install, you indicate that you are upgrading from RTC 2 and therefore need to maintain the jazz context root. Otherwise, a repotools-ccm is installed by default. The context root choice impacts other aspects of the install so it would not be enough to just rename the repotools-ccm file. It turns out to be easier to reinstall rather than try to make all these changes.

Also, there are a few decisions you will need to make as part of the RTC 2 to 3.0.1 upgrade. For example, do you want the JTS to be co-located on the same server as your RTC application? Even if you currently want them co-located, you may want to consider using a different virtual host name or alias for the Public URI you'll be establishing for the JTS at 3.0.1 so that you have the option of moving them to separate machines in the future. You can find info on this and other planning aspects here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_upgrade_consideration.html

Once you've done all your planning and created the JTS and data warehouse databases, there are upgrade wrapper scripts that can walk you through the repotools cmds that will do the file merging, user synchronization, etc. These scripts are described here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_upgrade_rtc2_auto_scripts.html

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Gail

Thanks Guys,

I finally figure it all out. I migrated data, and it looks ok, at least data wise. I put another topic here on the issue I have now. See Syntax Error topic from today ;)...

permanent link
mike brosnan (1011213) | answered Jul 16 '11, 9:26 a.m.
How long did your Data Warehouse data collection take once the upgrade was complete? We are also using oracle, and the data collection has been running for days

Mike

Hi there -

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Gail

Thanks Guys,

I finally figure it all out. I migrated data, and it looks ok, at least data wise. I put another topic here on the issue I have now. See Syntax Error topic from today ;)...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.