It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can a work item field restricted update by role AND type

Nigel Hopper (1032625) | asked Jun 25 '11, 2:54 a.m.
Hi

The severity field in our project is used in a number of work items. We would like to restrict the update for this field to one role for one of the work item types. Is this possible in RTC v3?

Thanks, Nigel.

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 27 '11, 5:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

The severity field in our project is used in a number of work items. We would like to restrict the update for this field to one role for one of the work item types. Is this possible in RTC v3?

Thanks, Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

I believe this is possible in the Process Configuration>Project Configuration>Permissions>Work Items and Process Configuration>Team Configuration>Permissions>Work Items

permanent link
Nigel Hopper (1032625) | answered Jun 27 '11, 9:57 a.m.
Hi Ralph

You can certainly use that for restricting the update to a field, but it would apply to the field for all the work items that it appeared on. For example, Priority is on pretty much every basic work item. If you restricted that to RTC Administrator(!), then only the RTC Admin could update that field on Task, Defect, Story and so on.

We would like to be able to refine it to one specific work item/field pairing. For example, the Priority field on an Epic.

Thanks, Nigel.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 27 '11, 10:22 a.m.
Hi Ralph

You can certainly use that for restricting the update to a field, but it would apply to the field for all the work items that it appeared on. For example, Priority is on pretty much every basic work item. If you restricted that to RTC Administrator(!), then only the RTC Admin could update that field on Task, Defect, Story and so on.

We would like to be able to refine it to one specific work item/field pairing. For example, the Priority field on an Epic.

Thanks, Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

that is strange. I had in mind that you could select this by type but I must have confused something, as this is not configurable at a first glance.
Maybe I am missing something else, however if not, you would have to create a process extension.

I would also consider writing a work item to track such a capability.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 28 '11, 7:47 p.m.
The current permission model doesn't let you restrict field update
differently for the same field on different work item types. I've
submitted work item 170226 for this functionality. You probably could
do this check in a process advisor, but that's probably more work than
you wanted to spend.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 6/25/2011 3:08 AM, nigellh wrote:
Hi

The severity field in our project is used in a number of work items.
We would like to restrict the update for this field to one role for
one of the work item types. Is this possible in RTC v3?

Thanks, Nigel.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.