It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

BuildForge Agent Functional Failure 999

Jason Tan (1132) | asked Jun 15 '11, 12:52 p.m.
Hi,

i was having some issue with BuildForge Agent connectivity check recently where the agent return Functional Failure - RESULT 999. I have tried whatever debug technique possible with no luck on identifying the possible cause. There were no changes on the agent host recently except network. When reading the bfagent.log, the only culprit i could possibly see is ping.c (38): ping failed , but everything else seem to worked fine; login/auth/etc ...

Not sure does anyone has any clue on the agent connectivity ping method - how it determine PingOK (or PingFail).

i am not a C/C++ programmer so i couldn't understand the bfagent src code ...

4 answers

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Jun 15 '11, 10:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

i was having some issue with BuildForge Agent connectivity check recently where the agent return Functional Failure - RESULT 999. I have tried whatever debug technique possible with no luck on identifying the possible cause. There were no changes on the agent host recently except network. When reading the bfagent.log, the only culprit i could possibly see is ping.c (38): ping failed , but everything else seem to worked fine; login/auth/etc ...

Not sure does anyone has any clue on the agent connectivity ping method - how it determine PingOK (or PingFail).

i am not a C/C++ programmer so i couldn't understand the bfagent src code ...

Hi,

I usually suggest trying ping from the command line to see what those messages look like. To do that from the command line, you can
enter these commands:

> telnet <agent host - ex. localhost> <agent port - ex. 5555>
username <user_name>
password <user_password>
cmd ping
go

If it's successful the last few messages will look similar to this from my Windows agent. If not, there may be some lines in there that may help in debugging.

310 PLAT Windows XP
320 PING PingOk
251 251 RESULT 0
260 EOR

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
Jason Tan (1132) | answered Jun 16 '11, 4:19 a.m.
Hi,

Yup, tried. and the return code is 999. it seem like 999 were hard-coded in the source code when it say Ping Failed. What i would really like to know is how the agent determine "Ping OK" or "Ping Failed". The agent host is working fine (e.g. application, ssh, login, etc ...). it is possible is due to poor network but it would be best if i can simulate manually how the agent determine what is PingOK or PingFail - so that i can prove to network people.

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Jun 16 '11, 9:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Yup, tried. and the return code is 999. it seem like 999 were hard-coded in the source code when it say Ping Failed. What i would really like to know is how the agent determine "Ping OK" or "Ping Failed". The agent host is working fine (e.g. application, ssh, login, etc ...). it is possible is due to poor network but it would be best if i can simulate manually how the agent determine what is PingOK or PingFail - so that i can prove to network people.

From a quick look at the code, it looks like the ping command tries to spawn a process that does an 'exit 0' with a timeout of 10. If the timeout is exceeded, the 999 return code gets propagated.

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
Jason Tan (1132) | answered Jun 20 '11, 7:34 a.m.
Thank you so much, the culprit is on network. I am now able to provide some evidence to the system/network guys.

Here is what i did,

- telnet <host> 5555
- cmd exec
- exec <shell> -c "command"
- timeout <timeout>
- username/password ...
- go

when test with timeout 10, PingFailed.
when test with timeout >10, PingOK.

Poor Network

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.