It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Where is the BF server log?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | asked Aug 23 '10, 11:51 a.m.
I ran a job, it went into the Waiting and Not Started state, no response back, nothing on the screen. And I just got another case say Completed-failed--Died.

If I start the engine as foreground, I may get some info there, but we have to start as a services (the login will time out to kill the foreground).

Now where can I find these message? And is there any server logs?

Thanks
Jirong

Accepted answer

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Aug 23 '10, 2:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I ran a job, it went into the Waiting and Not Started state, no response back, nothing on the screen. And I just got another case say Completed-failed--Died.

If I start the engine as foreground, I may get some info there, but we have to start as a services (the login will time out to kill the foreground).

Now where can I find these message? And is there any server logs?

Thanks
Jirong

Hi Jirong,

The location and what information you can get depends on whether you are running the Management Console on a Windows or Unix platform.

On Unix platforms, you can find the engine foreground statements in a file in the directory of where you had the Management Console installed. For example, the default install location on Unix typically is /opt/buildforge. In that case the log file, is located at /opt/buildforge/log .

On Windows not all of the engine foreground statements are available in a file. The statements generated by the Build Forge services layer are available in \Apache\tomcat\logs\catalina..log.

From the description of your issue in the case of Waiting, you might check whether the project limit has been reached for the project to run. Other causes might be run queue size parameter or server max jobs. For the Completed-failed--Died, you might check if there is a note in the build job giving any additional detail.

bju
Jirong Hu selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Feb 14 '13, 10:47 a.m.

For the Completed-failed--Died, you might check if there is a note in the build job giving any additional detail. 

The Notes tab of the failed job gives the detailed error message. In my case, it says "No server could be found matching all conditions for selector". I got a typo in the server name. 

Spencer Murata commented Feb 14 '13, 12:00 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Completed-Failed-Died means that something happened at the OS level, whether the server is incorrectly typed, or a build directory doesn't exist.  You might need to check the OS logs as well to see what errors are there.

One other answer

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered Aug 23 '10, 2:52 p.m.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Now I got a new error saying: Timeout after 300 seconds.

In foreground console, I see this:

Step starting command part 1 of 2.
Step starting command part 2 of 2.
Manifest refresh initiated for server ...

Seems timeout happens in part 2 of 2.

But my command is just one line like this:
perl -I<> build.pl -d xx xx

Why there is part 1 and 2?

There is nothing in catalina.log can be helpful.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.