It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Copy a workflow from a project to others

Bala Rajamani (31117) | asked Jun 06 '11, 2:51 p.m.
Hello,

I would like to copy a workflow type from a project to other projects. Wondering is there way to achieve this in RTC 3.0?

Thanks in advance.

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 07 '11, 2:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Bala,

to my knowledge what you can do is exporting the template of the project and instantiate the new project from that. You can also share the process of a project with several others.

I am not aware there is a way just to export/import one workflow. One option would be to try to copy the XML source over, but I would consider that potentially dangerous. It could render your process configuration broken if you fail.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hello,

I would like to copy a workflow type from a project to other projects. Wondering is there way to achieve this in RTC 3.0?

Thanks in advance.

permanent link
Bala Rajamani (31117) | answered Jun 07 '11, 10:07 a.m.
Hi Ralph,

The challenge is that I've created several project areas and the team is actively using it. I'm not sure if it is possible to switch the process to a another shared process? If so, how do I handle the workitems tied to the old process?

Thanks.
Bala.

Hi Bala,

to my knowledge what you can do is exporting the template of the project and instantiate the new project from that. You can also share the process of a project with several others.

I am not aware there is a way just to export/import one workflow. One option would be to try to copy the XML source over, but I would consider that potentially dangerous. It could render your process configuration broken if you fail.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 07 '11, 10:55 a.m.
Hi Bala,

the easiest and safest approach would be to do the workflow changes manually.

I think it should be possible

- if all project areas are based on the same process
- if the process has not been heavily customized (e.g. workflow changes)

to create a project are that hosts the common process that all project ares share. You could create a new project area from the currently used one (export template, create from template), modify the new one, change the usage from the other project areas and these should then inherit the changes.

You could try that on a test server first.

The issue you mention, existing Worlk items reference process customization ID's. E.g. for the workflow. If these are not available in the new process you would have issues e.g. you would have to set new states in work items referencing states not available. So the issue would be if you are having several project areas with independently and differently modified processes.

Sorry, I seem to be unable to find the help topic for this.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

The challenge is that I've created several project areas and the team is actively using it. I'm not sure if it is possible to switch the process to a another shared process? If so, how do I handle the workitems tied to the old process?

Thanks.
Bala.

Hi Bala,

Thanks,

Ralph

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

permanent link
Bala Rajamani (31117) | answered Jun 08 '11, 11:07 a.m.
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the details. I started making the changes manually. But thought, if there is a feature to update any process customization would have been easier to apply in all project areas instead of making them manually especially if we have complex workflow(s). Just curious how larger RTC implementation are handling the scenario?

Also how permission, users roles, team areas are handled when we share a process with other project areas? In our setup a team member may have different roles based on a project need.

Thanks again.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 08 '11, 11:28 a.m.
Hi Bala,

the idea of enterprise management as described above really is to make this easier. You can customize your process and provide a project just with the customized process. Other projects can use that process and add details such as teams, members, roles, etc. They can also extend/configure the process as long as the inherited process does not prevent that (final).

This has been introduced with 3.0. The issue is, I never tried to "rebase" projects with heavily customized processes back on a common process.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the details. I started making the changes manually. But thought, if there is a feature to update any process customization would have been easier to apply in all project areas instead of making them manually especially if we have complex workflow(s). Just curious how larger RTC implementation are handling the scenario?

Also wow permission, users roles, team areas are handled when we share a process with other project areas? In our setup a team member may have different roles based on a project need.

Thanks again.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.