It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC3 - monitor capabilities

Yaron Norani (47267065) | asked May 30 '11, 4:42 a.m.
Hello,

We have just performed an upgrade to RTC3.
We have linux server, Tomact, Oracle configuration.

We would like to set some procedures for monitoring RTC.
For example:
1. to know which user is currently connected.
2. monitor RTC system logs.

Can you direct me?

Thanks,

Yaron

Comments
Daniel Toczala commented Oct 14 '12, 7:52 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

To see users "currently connected" you can see who has an active license.  That can be seen by accessing the appropriate Admin console.  Since users aren't always connected (they could have changed a work item 20 minutes ago, and now be working on some source files), this is the best way to see who is active.

For monitoring the system logs, there are tools like the ones mentioned in the other responses.  You might also want to check out the JazzMon tool (see https://jazz.net/library/article/822), which will periodically check the counters for the various services, and will then dump a file in CSV format that you can use to see how your system is responding and operating.

4 answers

permanent link
Christophe Lucas (86234948) | answered May 30 '11, 7:35 a.m.
Not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but have you had a look at the Metronome yet ?
http://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2008/02/01/the-jazz-metronome-tool-keeps-us-honest/

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267065) | answered May 30 '11, 8:46 a.m.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I am familiar with the Metronome.
I used it for performace monitoring.
I need a tool / method for other tasks.
For example: How can I tell which users are logged in?
Also how can I monitor the logs? which logs should I monitor?

Thanks,

Yaron

permanent link
Benjamin Chodroff (8985231) | answered Oct 13 '12, 9:25 a.m.
1. Use Tomcat access log or WebSphere Security Auditing. This will allow you to capture who is authenticating and with a little scripting be able to determine peak concurrency/audits. Note: you will need to tune these to turn down the verbosity! They are quite verbose by default.... We use this extensively on our production servers at oncloudone.net

2. Use something like splunk.com or sumologic.com - at least that is what I'm looking into! It's on my list for our customers at oncloudone.net

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267065) | answered Oct 14 '12, 3:39 a.m.
Hi,
@Benjamin.Chodroff
Thanks for the reply.

Can you be more specific. We looked at the tomcat logs and found no evidence for user login.
Which log file to monitor?
Also, do we need to tune the log level in order to get this information?

If you can send me an example it will be very valuable.

Last thing: I think it should be introduced within the jazz platform and without the need to script it.

Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.