It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

BIRT report project - not able to open report in BIRT design

Daron Whitehouse (1121) | asked May 27 '11, 2:26 p.m.
Recently upgraded to RTC v3.0 with eclipse 3.6.2. Having succesfully migrated repository database to v3.0, when loading a BIRT report project into workspace, the reports will not open in the BIRT designer. Instead a message is issued "The opening design file is not a valid design file or the file does not exist." However, if a new BIRT report project is created and not added as a RTC component and a report is copied from the RTC controlled project in the new project space, the report will open as expected in the designer. Going one step further, once the new project is added to RTC the same report which was fine will receive the same message.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

Thanks,

Daron

8 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jun 06 '11, 2:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Here are two RTC defetcs tracking the issues:

93136: BIRT 2.5 cannot open report designs shared under jazz scm in Eclipse 3.5

122508: "The opening design file is not a valid design file or the file does not exist" dialog box opened after sharing some BIRT 2.5.1 reports with RTC

And here is the BIRT bugzilla:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=288302

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jun 03 '11, 2:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is a bug in the BIRT. If you are interested in the bugzilla, I can find it. A work around is to edit the design in a project that is not under source control. Then copy and paste to the proper place.

The SCM team can probably explain the problem better.

permanent link
Daron Whitehouse (1121) | answered Jun 06 '11, 9:27 a.m.
We have been using the workaround as you suggested.

I've opened a PMR with IBM Support on the issue and will update this post with any results.

If its not too much trouble, I would be interested follwoing the bug.

Thank you,

Daron

permanent link
Carlos Ferreira (91123) | answered Aug 24 '12, 2:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,  Just hit this too using Rational Team Concert v3.0.1.3.   Looks like it is fixed in Eclipse 3.7.2.  Hopefully RTC v4 client has picked this up?  Thanks.

permanent link
Rob Guikers (1) | answered Feb 26 '13, 3:14 a.m.
 Still not working in Eclipse Indigo SR2 and RTC 4.0.2 client. This is getting annoying ..
With a workaround still able to work, but mistakes are easily made this way.. 
The BIRT bugzilla site states that it is fixed on their side. Anyone any information on the RTC side of this problem?
Thanks.

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237850) | answered Jan 30 '14, 12:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Still not working with Eclipse Juno and RTC 4.0.4. When can we expect this to be fixed?

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Jan 31 '14, 3:55 a.m.
Hi Thomas,
There was another BIRT defect: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=403480. It has been fixed in 4.2.2.

permanent link
Luiz Almeida (23015589) | answered Jun 16 '14, 5:02 p.m.
I am using RTC 4.0.3 and the issue still exists.
To solve this I have to upgrade Birt version?

Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.