It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Versioning artifacts in RRC

Parasuram Anantharam (2122) | asked May 16 '11, 1:59 p.m.
Hi,

We are using RRC 2.0.0.3. I'm aware of the project snapshot and history functions available. Is there a best practice for versioning artifacts in RRC? I came across one case where someone had copied and pasted the version-header - "ReqPro-style".

I'd be grateful for any input.

Thank you.
Parasu

4 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered May 19 '11, 5:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

We are using RRC 2.0.0.3. I'm aware of the project snapshot and history functions available. Is there a best practice for versioning artifacts in RRC? I came across one case where someone had copied and pasted the version-header - "ReqPro-style".

I'd be grateful for any input.

Thank you.
Parasu

Not quite sure what you are after here - do you want to mark a specific version of the artifact - or have that version number/id appear in the doc - or something else.

Can you expand a bit on what you want to do (and my apologies I have not quite understood your request)

regards

anthony

permanent link
Parasuram Anantharam (2122) | answered May 19 '11, 5:10 p.m.
Anthony,

We'd like to have visibility to a version number so that when BAs talk to QA, we're all looking at the same artifact. Is there a best practice on versioning in RRC that you're aware of... is there anything documented on versioning practices? We're new to RRC and traying to learn how to use it.

I hope that helps to clarify my question.

Thank you.
Parasu

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered May 20 '11, 7:33 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Anthony,

We'd like to have visibility to a version number so that when BAs talk to QA, we're all looking at the same artifact. Is there a best practice on versioning in RRC that you're aware of... is there anything documented on versioning practices? We're new to RRC and traying to learn how to use it.

I hope that helps to clarify my question.

Thank you.
Parasu

I would recommend two options: collections and reviews.

You can create a collection as a resource containing a set of other resources. The team can then view the resource to navigate to the specific artifacts you want to discuss.

Related to this, you can create a review (either formal or informal). Informal will always be based on the most current version of the artifact whereas formal reviews retain the specific revision that was added to the review regardless of how many more times the artifact has been updated.

One other feature to look into are snapshots. You can use these to create a sort of baseline based on a timestamp. That way, you can view your artifacts in the context of the snapshot such that you see the artifact as it existed at the time of the timestamp. Note that you can even create a snapshot "in the past" by back-dating the timestamp. That is, I can create a snapshot indicating that I'd like to be able to see the artifacts as they existed two weeks ago.

Hope that helps get you started.

permanent link
Parasuram Anantharam (2122) | answered May 23 '11, 11:28 a.m.
Stef,

Thank you so much! This will be very helpful to us.

Regards,
Parasu

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.