It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to edit timezone list?

Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | asked May 12 '11, 2:03 p.m.
We have three timezones using RTC. We would like to edit the timezone list that appears in the user editor to show only the 3 valid time zones so people stop picking the wrong ones. :) Is there any way to edit this list of time zones? The list is coming from somewhere - hopefully we can edit it.

2 answers

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | answered Oct 05 '11, 2:37 p.m.
Really? No one knows where this is stored?

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | answered Nov 21 '11, 4:57 p.m.
Ok, I have some info. Still not sure what to do with it.

Timezone data is stored in data files in the directory "/usr/share/zoneinfo"

However, the timezones appear to be further configured by the file "tzmappings" located in the directory "/opt/app/jazz/server/jre/lib"

It is possible deleting some data files from "/usr/share/zoneinfo" would drop the timezones from the list, but I do not have root permissions on the server. Anything above /opt/app/jazz I cannot remove or overwrite.

I tried editing the "tzmappings" file, but that appeared to have no affect. It also has the following warning in the file:

# @(#)tzmappings 1.5 01/03/18
# This table describes mappings between Solaris time zone IDs and Java time zone
# IDs. Fields are separated by a single TAB ('\t'). Lines must be in the ascending
# order in ASCII. (non-ASCII characters can't be used.)
# NOTE
# This table format is not a public interface of any Java
# platforms. No applications should depend on this file in any form.
# This file has been generated using programs. Do not edit this file manually.

What programs are used to edit the tzmappings file? This appears to be a secret as I could find no reference by Googling it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.