It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot connect to RRC v2.0.0.4 using Internet Explorer 8

Brad Middleton (6911010) | asked May 06 '11, 5:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Cannot connect to RRC v2.0.0.4 using Internet Explorer 8
I have a customer who has recently purchased RRC v2, the problems is that after the user clicks OK in the login screen in the web UI the page is not displayed, only the "Loading" background. This only happens with IE, Firefox is fine.

Logging in from the server using IE works fine, so I believe this is a security issue on the client machines.

Can you advise on what might be causing this problem? Could it be related to any security settings in IE?

We also noticed 404 errors on the server by using the Fiddler web debugger (http://www.fiddler2.com/). I am not sure if these are related since we saw similar errors when using Firefox.

10 answers

permanent link
Muhtar Akbulut (9111) | answered May 08 '11, 9:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
(1) Do you have pop-up blocker disabled with IE? If not, can you please disable and try again and let me know what happens.
(2) Can you please provide the IE8 version details from Help->About IE details?

Thanks

permanent link
Brad Middleton (6911010) | answered May 08 '11, 2:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
(1) Do you have pop-up blocker disabled with IE? If not, can you please disable and try again and let me know what happens.
(2) Can you please provide the IE8 version details from Help->About IE details?

Thanks

Makbulut,

I can confirm the IE browser blocker is disabled and the problem still exists.
The version which the customer is currently using is:

Version: IE 8 - 8.0.6001.18702
Cipher strength: 128 bit

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered May 08 '11, 11:01 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For reference, I have essentially the same version and don't have any problem accessing my projects using 2.0.0.4.

Version: IE 8 - 8.0.6001.18702IS

In terms of security settings, I have the following selected:

Check for publisher's certificate revocation
Check for server certificate revocation
Check for signatures on download programs
Enable DOM Storage
Enable Integrated Windows Authentication
Enable native XMLHTTP support
Enable SmartScreen Filter
Use SSL 3.0
Use TLS 1.0
Warn about certificate address mismatch
Warn if POST submittal is redirected to a zone that does not permit posts

You might also try clearing the cache and any cookies for the RRC server.

permanent link
Brad Middleton (6911010) | answered May 09 '11, 6:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
For reference, I have essentially the same version and don't have any problem accessing my projects using 2.0.0.4.

Version: IE 8 - 8.0.6001.18702IS

In terms of security settings, I have the following selected:

Check for publisher's certificate revocation
Check for server certificate revocation
Check for signatures on download programs
Enable DOM Storage
Enable Integrated Windows Authentication
Enable native XMLHTTP support
Enable SmartScreen Filter
Use SSL 3.0
Use TLS 1.0
Warn about certificate address mismatch
Warn if POST submittal is redirected to a zone that does not permit posts

You might also try clearing the cache and any cookies for the RRC server.

It looks as if the IE8 doesn't like the RRC certificate issued by localhost, it is showing as expired. See screenshot.
Could this be one of the causes of the problem?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2677078/rrc-certificate.png

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered May 09 '11, 11:34 p.m.
I checked my system and the certificate I have is far more current.

Valid from: Thursday, March 11, 2010
Valid to: Wednesday, October 05, 2011

permanent link
Brad Middleton (6911010) | answered May 10 '11, 2:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I checked my system and the certificate I have is far more current.

Valid from: Thursday, March 11, 2010
Valid to: Wednesday, October 05, 2011

How do you update the RRC certificate or get a new one to be valid?

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered May 10 '11, 2:00 p.m.
To be honest, I'm not sure how to renew the certificate, so maybe someone else knows that answer.
That said, I deleted my current certificate and started the server. Once I confirmed the certificate error, I was able to access the server via the browser with no issues (and my certificate is now expired with a date range of 6/6/08 to 12/31/09), so I'm not sure the certificate is a problem. I was also able to use the rich client without issue.

permanent link
Brad Middleton (6911010) | answered Jun 21 '11, 8:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
To be honest, I'm not sure how to renew the certificate, so maybe someone else knows that answer.
That said, I deleted my current certificate and started the server. Once I confirmed the certificate error, I was able to access the server via the browser with no issues (and my certificate is now expired with a date range of 6/6/08 to 12/31/09), so I'm not sure the certificate is a problem. I was also able to use the rich client without issue.

I've still not managed to resolve this customer problem. Anyone know how to get over the expired certificate issue, or why the customer cannot connect using IE8?

permanent link
Brad Middleton (6911010) | answered Oct 25 '11, 9:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've created a self-signed certificate and it's now valid. I did this using ikeyman.exe. Instructions and short video are available here:

Instructions for Installing a Security Certificate in RRC v2.0.0.4

Video showing you the process you need to follow to Create a self-certified Security Certificate

Unfortunately the customer is still unable to connect via a web browser. Can anyone shed any light on this output from Fiddler - Web debugging program which is in the screenshot below?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2677078/RRC/rrc_web_login_problem_fiddler.jpg

permanent link
Erik Craig (16) | answered Oct 27 '11, 11:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Brad -
These 404 errors in your image are actually expected. I am assuming your browser is set to UK english? Since we don't actually provide separate UK english NLS for RRC, this is the first attempt, which will fail, and then it would fall back on generic 'en' locale for strings in the application.

As far as the actual issue at hand - Can you try the following?:

1. Try accessing the server with ?debug=true at the end of your URL. It would look something like... ibmrrc:9443/rdm/web?debug=true - and see if this loads.
2. Try completely resetting/defaulting your IE8 security settings.

I've created a self-signed certificate and it's now valid. I did this using ikeyman.exe. Instructions and short video are available here:

Instructions for Installing a Security Certificate in RRC v2.0.0.4

Video showing you the process you need to follow to Create a self-certified Security Certificate

Unfortunately the customer is still unable to connect via a web browser. Can anyone shed any light on this output from Fiddler - Web debugging program which is in the screenshot below?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.