It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migration RRC project areas from 3.0RC1 to 3.0.1RC2.

Gabriel Jonsson (10644) | asked May 07 '11, 6:40 a.m.
We have made an installation of Rational Requirements Composer 3.0 RC1 and started making project areas to try it out.

Now that RC2 has been released I was asked to upgrade the test installation. That means having to remove the RC1 installation and install a new RC2, and migrate the databases. I can not find any complete documentation to do this.

I have found quite good information about getting the RTC and RQM project areas migrated. Basically all that is needed is that the teamserver.properties files (3 of them, for jts, ccm and qm conf-directories respectively) are copied from old installation to new, and then that the databases are migrated with, from old installation:
repotools-jts.bat -export toFile=jts.tar 

repotools-ccm.bat -export toFile=ccm.tar
repotools-qm.bat -export toFile=qm.tar

And in new installation:
repotools-jts.bat -import fromFile=jts.tar 

repotools-ccm.bat -import fromFile=ccm.tar
repotools-qm.bat -import fromFile=qm.tar

Starting new server, it right away finds the RTC and RQM project areas.
But the jts gives the error that the RM application can not be reached/is offline. The admin application does not work either.
I have tried rerunning server setup at this point, and to reregister rm and admin application. That does not work. Setup will fail at the rm step, suggesting that I'm trying to configure storage when it is already configured.

Now to the question: What steps are needed to also get the rm and admin applications migrated and running? They dont have teamserver.properties files, so none of the documentation I have found applies to them. Most of the searching for RRC migration also leads me to instructions to 2.x -> 3.0 migration, and that does not help here either.

With pure experimentation I have found that copying the entire directories rm and admin under server/conf from old to new installation seems to do the trick (in close parallell to jts,qm,ccm where only teamserver.properties was copied). That makes everything seem to work.

But as I'm just experimentating here I dont now if this kind of migration is stable. For example under registred applications in jts, rm shows up being of version RC1 and not RC2 which makes me suspicious of this method, although everything seems to be in order when creating artifacts in the project area.

Does anyone know of any other way to do this?
Regards/Gabriel

3 answers

permanent link
Nicolas Kruk (31) | answered May 11 '11, 12:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Gabriel,
You are on the right track here. RM requires a few extra steps beyond using the repotools import/export feature to migrate RM to a new build:

1.) Copy the jts "teamserver.properties" from INSTALL_DIR\server\conf\jts to the new server install location

2.) Copy the "friendsconfig.rdf" from INSTALL_DIR\server\conf\rm to the new server install location

3.) Ensure that the "fronting.properties" from INSTALL_DIR\server\conf\rm has all the same values as the "fronting.properties" in the new server install location. Note: You need to be careful here to not overwrite any new properties that may have been added in RC2 (so don't just copy the whole file over). Make sure that you just copy all the values from the old fronting.properties to the new fronting.properties.

4.) Perform the repotools-jts.bat export/import scenario as you described in your post (note: this assumes you want to migrate the data to a new database, rather than reusing your old database on the new build, which would require slightly different steps)

5.) I think in order to officially upgrade the jts version, you need to perform repotools-jts.bat -addTables. Not sure if repotools-jts.bat - import handles this for you automatically or not, but I would execute this just to be sure.

Then start your server and you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any trouble with these steps, or if something isn't clear and I'll do my best to answer your questions. Hope this helps.

Comments
paulo lacerda commented Aug 19 '12, 9:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Nicolas,

Would this procedure also work for migration of RRC project areas from 3.0.1 to 4.0?

Paulo

permanent link
Gabriel Jonsson (10644) | answered May 11 '11, 1:53 p.m.
Thank you!
I will try that out.

I did try to keep the same database (using DB2) but that did not work. I dont remember all details but I got some error message saying the database was version 24 and the application needed version 25. Then I did a repotools export/import and it was fine afterwards.

permanent link
Nicolas Kruk (31) | answered May 11 '11, 3:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
FYI. That message would be solved by using step number 5 I listed (i.e. using repotools-jts.bat -addTables). This is required when migrating to a newer build while maintaining the same database. Keep in mind its worth doing repotools-jts.bat -export first to back up your data in-case something goes wrong...

Thank you!
I will try that out.

I did try to keep the same database (using DB2) but that did not work. I dont remember all details but I got some error message saying the database was version 24 and the application needed version 25. Then I did a repotools export/import and it was fine afterwards.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.