It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating work item categories and associated teams in batch

Thomas Loeber (62237950) | asked Apr 20 '11, 8:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When doing a migration of defect type records from ClearQuest to RTC using the CQ Importer from the RTC client, there doesn't seem to be a way to create the needed work item categories in the target project to map to the ClearQuest Product/component structure. The ClearQuest schema I'm working with has product and component fields which we want to map to work item categories in RTC. We know we can use concatenation in the mapping file like
attribute sourceId="Product/Component" targetId="com.ibm.team.workitem.attribute.category"
and this will import the defects with the proper Filed Against value.
The dilemma is how to create the actual categories in the project. Is there a way to do this in batch using an API?

5 answers

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Apr 20 '11, 9:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Not sure if I understand your question. The CQ Importer will create the work item categories on the fly if they don't already exist for the project area.

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237950) | answered Apr 20 '11, 9:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Not sure if I understand your question. The CQ Importer will create the work item categories on the fly if they don't already exist for the project area.

In reading my original post, I see I failed to explain clearly. The team migrating wants to take the opportunity to restructure this product/component/sub-component hierarchy. Basically do some renaming so, in reality, these work item categories may not be the same names as the source in CQ. In the instances where they don't match, we want to create them upfront, prior to the migration.

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Apr 21 '11, 9:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If I understand this restructuring effort, you are saying you want to create work item categories prior to running the CQ Importer. So you are asking if there is some API in creating the categories?

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237950) | answered Apr 21 '11, 2:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If I understand this restructuring effort, you are saying you want to create work item categories prior to running the CQ Importer. So you are asking if there is some API in creating the categories?

Yes. We would create them prior to importing and then map to them in the XML mapping file.

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Apr 22 '11, 8:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've contacted someone from the work item team and hopefully you will hear from them.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.