It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent people from changing shared queries?

Joef Huang (46114) | asked Apr 19 '11, 3:02 p.m.
Hello,

Our team found that everyone on the team can change the shared queries that were created by others, which always confuses people.

All developers on the team are now granted "senior developer" permission so that they can create their own queries.

We are wondering if there is more granularity in RTC permission control such that users can create their own personal queries but can not modify queries created by others.

Thanks.

4 answers

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Aug 03 '11, 10:45 a.m.
Hello,

Our team found that everyone on the team can change the shared queries that were created by others, which always confuses people.

All developers on the team are now granted "senior developer" permission so that they can create their own queries.

We are wondering if there is more granularity in RTC permission control such that users can create their own personal queries but can not modify queries created by others.

Thanks.

I have this exact same concern as the issue was raised by our team today. Has anybody found a way to do this or is there customization work that needs to be done?

We also have the concern that we don't want everyone sharing queries so we'd like to limit the ability to share a query to only specific roles. Is there a way to do that in the process configuration as well?

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Aug 03 '11, 2:11 p.m.
Hello,

Thanks.

I have this exact same concern as the issue was raised by our team today. Has anybody found a way to do this or is there customization work that needs to be done?

We also have the concern that we don't want everyone sharing queries so we'd like to limit the ability to share a query to only specific roles. Is there a way to do that in the process configuration as well?

There's a permission under Work Items called Save Query (Server) and under that a permission called Modify a Query. I think those will allow you to restrict users from sharing queries or modifying queries on the server and only allow them to create personal ones.

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Aug 04 '11, 12:41 p.m.
I ended up finding something that appears to do this. In the "Process Configuration" tab for your project area, you'll see Permissions under Team Configuration. Under Work Items -> Save Query (Server) there are some permissions. From my testing this appears to control what permissions each role has for queries shared with the project area. Team Areas have similar configuration. I didn't see an impact on creating/modifying personal queries or those shared with specific individual users.

Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Jul 24 '14, 4:16 p.m.

Unfortunately, this does not allow someone to create a shared query that others cannot edit. The setting appears to either allow editing of all shared queries or no shared queries. We need a setting that allows folks to create and share queries with everyone - just does not let them edit other shared queries.

permanent link
Nick O'Rourke (11) | answered Nov 10 '14, 9:10 a.m.
edited Nov 10 '14, 9:24 a.m.
I found that I could achieve a protected query by sharing the query to a specific team area (in my case "build team") and then change the normally inherited settings for the "roles" in that team area to limit who can do "Save query" operations.

For example, normally "Developer" role can edit and share queries, and all team areas would normally inherit these permissions, by removing "Developer" from the permissions for the "build team" area operation "Save query", developer role cannot edit the query that is shared only to the build team area, but can still create and share queries in other team areas.

In my case I was able to allow "Release Engineer" to edit and change queries in this team area, Stakeholder is inheriting (which happens to not have permissions anyway) and Developer is not allowed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.