It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we run SQL queries on RTC-SQL Database?

R Z (1273252) | asked Oct 26 '11, 5:41 a.m.
Team,

Had a question?
Can we run SQL queries on RTC-SQL database?

I know that we can't read RTC database (Encrypted Format), still i need to know whether it supports or not?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
HitMan

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 28 '11, 5:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

the databases used are relational databases. So technically you can.

Just running queries would do no harm, I just don't see why it would be of any value, except using the available reporting mechanism. Since the application is responsible for providing the data and has interfaces that should be used.

Comments
Minghua Zhao commented Jan 27 '14, 10:26 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

I was wondering if you knew how to do it.
I've been searching around for using SQL queries, but RTC client doesn't support it.
I was wondering if queries could be created with the API.

Thanks,

FYI
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/28856/manually-entering-an-sql-query-into-rtc

Kevin Ramer commented Jan 27 '14, 10:44 a.m.

I'm a Jazz Admin (since v1 days). I'm also pretty decent with database management and this is my $0.02:

I often run SQL on RTC database, but for the purpose of finding issues (e.g. attribute issues).  Having looked at the schemas and tables,  one would have to be an expert in the design of the respective CLM database (i.e. could quote the meaning of every column MODEL.WORK_ITEM_MEDIUM_STRING_EXTENSIONS, for example) to make good use of SQL.   To my knowledge, the database schema are not documented publicly.

In addition, the CLM applications put controls upon the data that would be bypassed by direct SQL access.  For this reason alone we reject any request for enabling users to access any of our CLM databases directly.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.