It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrade path from existing RRC and RQM 2.x into CLM 3.0

Peter Cahill (311108) | asked Mar 31 '11, 8:14 a.m.
Hi,

Could somebody please explain to me how the upgrade process is expected to work once the CLM suite goes GA.

As-Is my setup is as follows:

JTS and CCM 3.0 iFix1 (as /jazz as upgrade from exiting RTC 2.x) on a single server instance.

RRC 2.0.0.3 on the same physical server but a different instance...

RQM 2.0.1.x on its own separate server...

All three are deployed into WAS and are using DB2 as the database engine.

Ideally, when CLM hits GA........I would like to have the JTS and all three products; CCM, RM and QM on the same physical server. I have a virtualized environment so resources can be consolidated etc.

How can this be achieved? Can Installation Manager be used to "modify" the setup - first to upgrade the JTS and CCM applications to the 3.0.1 level, and then to add RM and QM applications to the install?

If this is the case.....can my existing instances of RQM and RRC at versions 2.x be upgraded to the 3.0.1 levels also and then use repotools to export and import the databases into the new environment?

Has anyone looked at a feature that allowed projects to be exported and imported? I know that there is a mechanism for importing and exporting work items as XMLs etc., but in my experience this causes new Work Item IDs to be assigned, and some traceability is lost in this scenario.

Any light that could be shed on this scenario by anyone would be much obliged.....we have a large amount of artifacts from several ongoing projects that really needs to be migrated into the new setup......

Thanks.........Peter......

5 answers

permanent link
Gabriel Jonsson (10644) | answered Jun 06 '11, 12:28 p.m.
There are some good documentation for migrating repositories from 2 to 3. See for example:

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_upgrade_rqm.html

Altought perhaps not supported, I found out earlier that it is indeed possible to migrate repositorys from different version 2 servers to a single version 3 jazz server.
See end of this thread:
https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14051

I do not know if it works with the latest release or if it works with RRC as well. Try it at your own risk.

permanent link
Ritchie Schacher - IBM (47611) | answered Apr 05 '11, 5:08 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Peter,

RTC, RQM and RRC can merge to use a shared JTS for users, license, and RRC and dashboard storage, provided they all share a common authentication realm. However, it is not supported to combine the upgraded apps into a single app server container. The key point is that the URLs must remain stable when upgrading from 2.x to 3.x - including the host, port and context root (.e.g, /jazz). So you will need separate app container instances (or WAS profiles) for each of the upgraded apps. Those app container instances can be on separate servers. You can also run them on the same server provided the ports are different, you use virtual host names for each instance, and the URLs do not change, (including host, port and context root).

In your example, if RTC and RQM are both installed at /jazz and using the same port (default installed is 9443) then they cannot be moved to the same host.

The project move feature is not going to be included in the 3.0.1 release. Future plans are not yet in place.

Ritchie Schacher
Jazz Foundation Server

permanent link
Peter Cahill (311108) | answered Apr 11 '11, 2:32 p.m.
Thanks Richie........

permanent link
frederick carter (451217) | answered May 25 '11, 12:23 a.m.
Thanks Richie........

if the project Move feature is not going to be available yet in Beta 3, then please provide guidance on how we should move our project data that is in 2.0, to teh 3.0 platform?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 25 '11, 12:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can upgrade a 2.0 repository to be a 3.0 repository (this isn't
considered a case of moving a project area ... it is one of upgrading a
repository).

Or stated otherwise, upgrading a repository from 2.0 to 3.0 is unrelated
to the ability of moving a single project area from one repository to
another.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 5/25/2011 12:23 AM, fxcarter wrote:
petercahwrote:
Thanks Richie........

if the project Move feature is not going to be available yet in Beta
3, then please provide guidance on how we should move our project
data that is in 2.0, to teh 3.0 platform?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.