It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Searching changesets based on its comment

T M (8876188143) | asked Jan 31 '11, 11:14 a.m.
How do I search change-sets (that are not linked to any work items) based on the comment (change set name) ? For e.g., I want to search/list all change sets in a component that has the comment starting with the letters "Auto"?

Thanks!

5 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jan 31 '11, 3:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
How do I search change-sets (that are not linked to any work items) based on the comment (change set name) ? For e.g., I want to search/list all change sets in a component that has the comment starting with the letters "Auto"?

Thanks!

You can search for change sets by going to Search > Jazz Source Control > Change Sets. However, it doesn't have the ability to search change set comments. You can search by other criteria such as owner, creation date, modifies file, etc.

permanent link
Yann Pochon (4612) | answered Feb 04 '11, 4:29 a.m.
You can search for change sets by going to Search > Jazz Source Control > Change Sets. However, it doesn't have the ability to search change set comments. You can search by other criteria such as owner, creation date, modifies file, etc.

Are there plans to implement this functionality?
It would be very welcome because searching by other criteria doesn't cover all the use cases. You may not always know the who, when and what of changes but rather a global context that is only reflected in the change set comment. To me, the comment is a piece of info that describes a change as any other criteria and therefore should be searchable; like work items are by their summary.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Feb 04 '11, 5:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It would be very welcome because searching by other criteria doesn't cover all the use cases. You may not always know the who, when and what of changes but rather a global context that is only reflected in the change set comment. To me, the comment is a piece of info that describes a change as any other criteria and therefore should be searchable; like work items are by their summary.

Hi Yann

Please raise this as an enhancement request here on jazz.net. If you also post the link to the enhancement request here, people will be able to add comments in support of your request.

http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem

is the link to add an enhacement (change the type to Enhancement - it defaults to Defect)

regards

anthony

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 04 '11, 8:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It would be very welcome because searching by other criteria doesn't cover all the use cases. You may not always know the who, when and what of changes but rather a global context that is only reflected in the change set comment. To me, the comment is a piece of info that describes a change as any other criteria and therefore should be searchable; like work items are by their summary.I don't think there is an enhancement work item open for this feature. As Anthony mentioned, you are welcome to open an enhancement request. Although, I don't know if it's a good idea to search by change set comment as it may be too costly of an operation. Additionally, I believe comments are meant to describe the changes in the change set and if a global context is known then a work item describing that context should be linked to the change set. By linking a work item, it allows multiple change sets to be linked to a work item that describes them all and eliminates the need to edit the comment on all the change sets to describe the overall purpose of the changes.

permanent link
Yann Pochon (4612) | answered Feb 10 '11, 5:04 a.m.
Enhancement request created:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=152775

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.