It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Auto Owner assignment according type

Antoine LELEU (5012728) | asked Nov 05 '14, 4:30 a.m.
edited Nov 05 '14, 4:57 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
 Hello,

I'm looking for a way to assign automatically the owner to a workitem according the type.

-> i can set a default value. But can't be different by type.
-> about the calculated value. i can't request the users.

Anyone know a solution for this need ?

Thanks,

Antoine

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 05 '14, 4:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Antoine,

you could use a script based calculated value provider, if you have a fixed list of types and users.
In the value provider you would read the type attribute and then return the UUID of the user you want. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization and https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 for some hints.
If the association is not trivial and you need to search you could try https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/attribute-customization-java-based-value-providers-conditions-and-validators/ .

Other viable approaches would be follow up actions / participants.

However: Why are there so few default value providers?

The reason is simple, when the work item is created and the providers run, there is almost no information available. Even the type is only preliminary and could be changed afterwards. That is the reason why default values as described by you don't really seem to make a lot of sense. The decision point for the value is after the fact of running the default value provider.

With Dashboards and queries, RTC provides way better ways to handle incoming work as well. The responsible persons would just have a query that shows them the unassigned work.

Antoine LELEU selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '14, 4:59 a.m.

Two more things.

1. There is a request to be able to have attribute customization by type.
  2. You can create a script based default value provider that also returns the user UUID

However, the type can change after the provider ran and then your default owner would be invalid.

One other answer

permanent link
Antoine LELEU (5012728) | answered Nov 05 '14, 9:55 a.m.
Hi ralph,

Thanks for your answer. It's very appreciated.
Just one more thing.What do you mean by a script that also returns the user UUID ?
It's possible to get the user UUID in my script, according the name by example ?

Thanks,
Antoine

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '14, 11:54 a.m. | edited Nov 05 '14, 11:58 a.m.

The UUID is what you get if you do a getValue on a contributor/user/owner attribute (you get the name/ID) if you do a getValue). It is a string of incomprehensible characters.

If you create a value provider for a contributor attribute, you need to return that and not the name to set it. And no, you can't discover them, there is no API available as explained in both of the links above.

What I mean with discover is, use the API and a user name, ID, team membership or any other project area related information. You can get the UUID for an existing user (e.g. using my AttributeValueSpy provider on an attribute that is set) and hardcode that.

You could potentially get it with a Java based value provider from the project area structure e.g. based on a role, as I explain in the rsjazz post.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.