It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to pass prompt values to Insight

Chad Smith (21164) | asked Jan 28 '11, 11:32 a.m.
I have a report that has a prompt page that accepts a parameter. I trying to a pass the parameter in to the report via the URL so users will now be required to select from a long list. Is this possible? How can this be done?

5 answers

permanent link
Petroula Pantazopoulos (36612) | answered Jan 28 '11, 12:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have a report that has a prompt page that accepts a parameter. I trying to a pass the parameter in to the report via the URL so users will now be required to select from a long list. Is this possible? How can this be done?

No it is not possible to do that, the prompt component will not resolve urls.

permanent link
Jeffrey Liu (111131) | answered Jan 31 '11, 9:58 a.m.

Hi,

You cannot pass values into a report to populate your prompts, but you can pass values into your report to satisfy your report parameters. For example, say your report has the following parameter in it:

. = ?myParameter?

You can pass parameters using parameterised URL. Just add:

&p_myParameter=some_value

Jeff

permanent link
evon stevenson (11) | answered Apr 08 '11, 1:51 p.m.

Hi,

You cannot pass values into a report to populate your prompts, but you can pass values into your report to satisfy your report parameters. For example, say your report has the following parameter in it:

. = ?myParameter?

You can pass parameters using parameterised URL. Just add:

&p_myParameter=some_value

Jeff
Are you 100% certain that passing values into report to populate prompts is 'impossible'? I have been wasting so much time with this, please find time to reply..
Thanks a lot! :D

permanent link
Jeffrey Liu (111131) | answered Apr 18 '11, 10:42 a.m.
Hi,

That's correct. As far as I know, prompts can be populated statically (you specify the values in report Studio), or they can be populated using the result set of a query (again done in Report Studio). I do not know of a way where you can dynmaically specify the values that you want the prompts to have when you run the report. Well, unless you do advance javascripting in your report to read/parse URL parameters and load the prompts manually. This may or may not work because I've never tried it. Plus, you will be going down a non-standard, and very likely unsupported path.

Thanks, Jeff

permanent link
evon stevenson (11) | answered Jun 26 '11, 8:52 p.m.
Hi,

That's correct. As far as I know, prompts can be populated statically (you specify the values in report Studio), or they can be populated using the result set of a query (again done in Report Studio). I do not know of a way where you can dynmaically specify the values that you want the prompts to have when you run the report. Well, unless you do advance javascripting in your report to read/parse URL parameters and load the prompts manually. This may or may not work because I've never tried it. Plus, you will be going down a non-standard, and very likely unsupported path.

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks a bunch Jeff. :D

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.