It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query multi-select list fields

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Jan 19 '11, 7:20 a.m.
We have an attribute (medium string) which is displayed via a multi-select list with an Enumeration. When we do a Query, we haven't found a way to query based on the values that are visible in the UI.

I suspect this is due to the way the attribute is defined. If I look in the Types and Attributes, It says "Medium String" whereas others show (Enumeration) and those, in the query builder, allows the builder to select which of the Enumeration they want. However, it is defined as a Medium String because if we selected Enumeration in the presentation, it was only a single-select, and we needed a multi-select, which we could only get with Medium String.

Any thoughts on the best way to get this working?
Susan

Comments
Virginia Brown commented Jun 28 '12, 7:39 p.m.

I'm seeing the same. The attribute (list of states) is defined as a large string. The presentation is defined as as Checkbox Multi-Select List. The enumeration (States) is bound at the presentation rather than the attribute level.

The attribute does not show up at all in the web query. It does show up from Eclipse when I check 'show custom attributes', though the search capability is uninteresting (the only option is attribute exists, and since there is a default, attribute always exists)

We are currently using 3.0.1

Dan Bajema commented Sep 19 '12, 6:25 p.m.

Yes, I saw the same thing: when creating a Multi-Select Checkbox with String it works in the presentation, however you cannot create a query based on the enumeration of that attribute. Anytime I've created a query it forces me to use "Full Text" which is a total drag since I had already taken the time to create the specific enumerations for that attribute. So far I've found no way around this

One answer

permanent link
Steve Woodbridge (1352326) | answered Jan 22 '11, 6:43 p.m.
We have an attribute (medium string) which is displayed via a multi-select list with an Enumeration. When we do a Query, we haven't found a way to query based on the values that are visible in the UI.

I suspect this is due to the way the attribute is defined. If I look in the Types and Attributes, It says "Medium String" whereas others show (Enumeration) and those, in the query builder, allows the builder to select which of the Enumeration they want. However, it is defined as a Medium String because if we selected Enumeration in the presentation, it was only a single-select, and we needed a multi-select, which we could only get with Medium String.

Any thoughts on the best way to get this working?
Susan

Can you post an example of what you are seeing when you perform the query ?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.