It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Get started with Rational Team Concert" Tutorial

Glenn Houk (622) | asked Jan 12 '11, 4:22 p.m.
FYI: I have been through this tutorial several times, and I am finding several places in this tutorial that what is being instructed is not accurate. The process of switching Repository Connections between the BuildUser and the student who is taking the tutorial, is causing some situations in the tutorial to be wrong.

For example, in Lesson 8, in the "Delivering the build script" section, the tutorial references the "Team 1 Build Workspace" and the Unresolved folder, however, that workspace has NOT been loaded per the tutorial. There is no Unresolved folder in that workspace. This issue, which I got around by manually copying the build.xml file into the workspace, then caused other inconsistencies, such as the (Work Items "None included") situation in the 1st build

Additional issues and problems are evident w/ the tutorial, but no time to explain them all at the moment, and not sure if any response would be given. Does Jazz have any suggestion or plans to udate, as the tutorial would be an excellent resource for learning RTC if the tutorial was completely accurate. Trying to teach RTC to a newbie w/ an in-accurate tutorial is difficult.

4 answers

permanent link
Dejan Custic (2855) | answered Jan 13 '11, 4:41 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
FYI: I have been through this tutorial several times, and I am finding several places in this tutorial that what is being instructed is not accurate. The process of switching Repository Connections between the BuildUser and the student who is taking the tutorial, is causing some situations in the tutorial to be wrong.

For example, in Lesson 8, in the "Delivering the build script" section, the tutorial references the "Team 1 Build Workspace" and the Unresolved folder, however, that workspace has NOT been loaded per the tutorial. There is no Unresolved folder in that workspace. This issue, which I got around by manually copying the build.xml file into the workspace, then caused other inconsistencies, such as the (Work Items "None included") situation in the 1st build

Additional issues and problems are evident w/ the tutorial, but no time to explain them all at the moment, and not sure if any response would be given. Does Jazz have any suggestion or plans to udate, as the tutorial would be an excellent resource for learning RTC if the tutorial was completely accurate. Trying to teach RTC to a newbie w/ an in-accurate tutorial is difficult.
The tutorial was updated for 3.0 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/topic/com.ibm.team.concert.tutorial.doc/topics/tut_rtc_abstract.html. The build lesson (now Lesson 7) was updated and the "Delivering the build script" section should be correct. I'm not sure if you're finding some of the errors in 3.0, but for the 2.0 version, I've created a work item to update the tutorial https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=149704

permanent link
Christian Morgan (317714) | answered Jan 13 '11, 8:30 a.m.
If you are referrring to the tutorial in the online help system, there is definitely inaccurate information in the current version of the online help, in particular I found a cpl of issues with the admin commands ex. repotools.

I tried to add a comment a few weeks ago but I was frustrated with the inaccuracies and held the comment back because it was more vent than constructive. THe only other time prior I tried to add a comment it didn't save.

Have you tried to log comments against the specific sections of the tutorial that are incorrect?

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jan 13 '11, 11:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you are referrring to the tutorial in the online help system, there is definitely inaccurate information in the current version of the online help, in particular I found a cpl of issues with the admin commands ex. repotools.

I tried to add a comment a few weeks ago but I was frustrated with the inaccuracies and held the comment back because it was more vent than constructive. THe only other time prior I tried to add a comment it didn't save.

Have you tried to log comments against the specific sections of the tutorial that are incorrect?

You should be able to log defects against documentation here on jazz.net. If you have a minute to log them, that will really help to get them fixed.

anthony

permanent link
Christian Morgan (317714) | answered Jan 13 '11, 12:52 p.m.

You should be able to log defects against documentation here on jazz.net. If you have a minute to log them, that will really help to get them fixed.

anthony

So, better to log the defect than comment on potential issues directly via the online help comment system?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.