It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SQL Server Management Studio - Local changes not recognised

lewis dowson (11) | asked Jan 10 '11, 8:21 a.m.
Hi,

We are implementing Jazz Source Control for use within the Database Team. We use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 and would like to use Jazz Source Control to manage our T-SQL Scripts in the same way that the .Net team do for their C# code.

We can successfully use the source control but only if we develop the T-SQL code with Visual Studio, however we would like to use SQL Server Management Studio for our development.

When we make the changes directly in MS SQL Server Management Studio and not in Visual Studio it seems that Jazz does not recognise that the script file has changed in the file directory and so it does not recognise that the changes made are unresolved or that they need to be checked in or delivered.

We can get around this if we then open the file in VS and save it but clearly this is not ideal. Jazz should recognise the changes made even if they were not made in VS.

My question is, is there away to make Jazz in VS automatically detected changes made even if they were not made in VS without then having to then manually open the file in VS and save again? Much in the same way that Team foundation server would at least state you have to check the file out first.

Thank you

Comments
Darryl Dortch commented Aug 09 '13, 9:00 a.m.

Hi Lewis, <o:p> </o:p>

I have a question for you that you might be more familiar with than myself. You were using SQL Server Management Studio and trying to check-in/Deliver change sets into your RTC repository. Were you utilizing a RTC plug-in for SQL Server MS to do this? <o:p> </o:p>

6 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jan 10 '11, 8:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

We are implementing Jazz Source Control for use within the Database Team. We use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 and would like to use Jazz Source Control to manage our T-SQL Scripts in the same way that the .Net team do for their C# code.

We can successfully use the source control but only if we develop the T-SQL code with Visual Studio, however we would like to use SQL Server Management Studio for our development.

When we make the changes directly in MS SQL Server Management Studio and not in Visual Studio it seems that Jazz does not recognise that the script file has changed in the file directory and so it does not recognise that the changes made are unresolved or that they need to be checked in or delivered.

We can get around this if we then open the file in VS and save it but clearly this is not ideal. Jazz should recognise the changes made even if they were not made in VS.

My question is, is there away to make Jazz in VS automatically detected changes made even if they were not made in VS without then having to then manually open the file in VS and save again? Much in the same way that Team foundation server would at least state you have to check the file out first.

Thank you

Hi

I am not aware of a way to make RTC inside VS to automatically pick up external changes, but you should not need to open the file to trigger the check. A Refresh in the Team Artifacts view should check all the files and flag the ones that have changed. There might also be a way or running a commandline instruction periodically to force the refresh - not something I have tried but a vague idea.

Just out of interest, is the Management Studio product a subset of Visual Studio, or does it use the VS shell? If would be a good enhancement request to support MSSMS directly (if is was VS-shell based).

regards

anthony

permanent link
lewis dowson (11) | answered Jan 10 '11, 9:26 a.m.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried to use the refresh button but it does not seem to check each file individually.

I created a few sql scripts and delivered them. I then opened 3 of these file in notepad or Management Studio and made a change. Once saved I refreshed the solution in VS but the change is not picked up. Again the only way it &quot;sees&quot; the change is to open the file manually in VS and hit the save button.

Did your solution work at your end? Any ideas?

Our SQL Management Studio is completely seperate to VS, changes have just the same effect as if they were made in notepad.

Thanks,

Lewis

permanent link
lewis dowson (11) | answered Jan 10 '11, 9:35 a.m.
Ahhh, if I right click and then refresh it works but not if I just click the refresh button. Still this is not ideal, would be better if there was no human interaction required.

Thanks, let me know if yourself or anyone else has any more ideas.
Thanks,
Lewis

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Jan 11 '11, 1:49 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ahhh, if I right click and then refresh it works but not if I just click the refresh button. Still this is not ideal, would be better if there was no human interaction required.

Thanks, let me know if yourself or anyone else has any more ideas.
Thanks,
Lewis

Hi Lewis,
In the pending changes view, there is an option to selectively refresh changes. It's the second button (a drop down) in the toolbar in pending changes view. You can click on &quot;Refresh sandbox changes&quot; in the drop down, this will start tracking your changes done outside visual studio shell.

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jan 12 '11, 5:35 a.m.
If you're using 3.0, then you could open the Sandbox Explorer View and selectively refresh the folder that contains the changed files, or even refresh the files themselves using the Refresh context menu option on a file or folder.

If you're using an older version, you can use the Refresh Sandbox Changes option in the Pending Changes toolbar (you need to click the Refresh menu in the left most part of the toolbar). This brings up a dialog which displays the folders in your sandbox and you can select the ones you want refreshed.
However, you'll need to do it every time you make changes outside of Visual Studio.
If you don't have a huge sandbox and don't mind refreshing the whole thing every time, you could just choose to refresh the entire sandbox every tme you make changes outside of Visual Studio.

regards
--Rupa

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jan 12 '11, 5:38 a.m.
If you're using 3.0, then you could open the Sandbox Explorer View and selectively refresh the folder that contains the changed files, or even refresh the files themselves using the Refresh context menu option on a file or folder.

If you're using an older version, you can use the Refresh Sandbox Changes option in the Pending Changes toolbar (you need to click the Refresh menu in the left most part of the toolbar). This brings up a dialog which displays the folders in your sandbox and you can select the ones you want refreshed.
However, you'll need to do it every time you make changes outside of Visual Studio.
If you don't have a huge sandbox and don't mind refreshing the whole thing every time, you could just choose to refresh the entire sandbox every tme you make changes outside of Visual Studio.

regards
--Rupa

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.