It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rolling out standard dashboards & reports [process templ

Morten Madsen (13277) | asked Jan 05 '11, 5:50 a.m.
Hi,

I wanted to ask if anybody had experience with rolling out pre-defined dashboards and reports in existing projects.

We have defined some standard dashboards in the process template (which is possible, but still very complex using the GUI support - it includes messing around with "mementos", if anybody knows what I'm talking about - but they are then part of the process configuration, and can be applied to existing projects, by pasting in the updated process XML.

Now on to my question:

--Reports--
If we have some new reports, that we want to roll out, is there an easy way to do this? Reports are not part of the process configuration, but are project state, and will only be created on project instantiation (project creation follow-up actions). So how can I modify existing projects?

I think that one way of doing it is to create a report plugin, then click "deploy new report templates" on each project, but then I also need to manually create new reports using these template... this cannot be automated... can it?

And what if these reports are used (referenced) in my standard dashboards?

Any thoughts, experiences, ideas? Anything at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Morten.

One answer

permanent link
Mauricio Silclir (9184) | answered Feb 01 '11, 2:28 p.m.
Hi Morten,
I have been working with a very similar task (creating a process template which deploys predefined reports and dashboards). Up to now, the only way I found to deploy the new defined process onto existent projects is by updating manually the process configuration (copying the source xml) and creating manually the new reports.
An alternative to create a plugin is to just create a new report template (right-click on Report Templates folder -> New -> Report Template. To do so you'll need the *.rptdesign file and you'd need to ensure you use the same ID's you defined in the dashboard templates..
One comment is that you don't need to instantiate the templates (create a report) to use them in the dashboards, you just need the template itself and the correspondent viewlets.

If you find any way to automate this stuff, let me know :)

Hi,

I wanted to ask if anybody had experience with rolling out pre-defined dashboards and reports in existing projects.

We have defined some standard dashboards in the process template (which is possible, but still very complex using the GUI support - it includes messing around with "mementos", if anybody knows what I'm talking about - but they are then part of the process configuration, and can be applied to existing projects, by pasting in the updated process XML.

Now on to my question:

--Reports--
If we have some new reports, that we want to roll out, is there an easy way to do this? Reports are not part of the process configuration, but are project state, and will only be created on project instantiation (project creation follow-up actions). So how can I modify existing projects?

I think that one way of doing it is to create a report plugin, then click "deploy new report templates" on each project, but then I also need to manually create new reports using these template... this cannot be automated... can it?

And what if these reports are used (referenced) in my standard dashboards?

Any thoughts, experiences, ideas? Anything at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Morten.
:) :) :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.