It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Clean workspace" - Visual Studio plug-in also ?

Michael Sternberg (8181) | asked Dec 05 '10, 8:38 a.m.
I have "Clean workspace" enabled in "Deliver (Client)" operation behavior. When I plant a compilation problem into VS 2008 workspace - the component and appropriate changeset are painted red, but I still able to check-in the problematic changes.

Why is that ? "Clean workspacs" is not implemented in Visual Studio Client ? Where I can find list of preconditions and follow-up actions for Visual Studio Client ?

5 answers

permanent link
Michael Sternberg (8181) | answered Dec 05 '10, 8:47 a.m.
"Clean workspace" is not implemented in Visual Studio Client ?

Same about "Descriptive Change Sets" and "Require Work Items and Comments".

I've checked "Fail if not installed" checkbox in order to require developers to use Eclipse client in order to perform deliveries - but was still able to perform deliver from Visual Studio...

permanent link
Michael Sternberg (8181) | answered Dec 06 '10, 3:59 a.m.
"Clean workspace" is not implemented in Visual Studio Client ?

Same about "Descriptive Change Sets" and "Require Work Items and Comments".

Also, I've checked "Fail if not installed" checkbox in order to require developers to use Eclipse client in order to perform deliveries - but was still able to perform deliver from Visual Studio...

Anybody ? If preconditions are not honored in Visual Studio plug-in, they are completely useless for us.. :(

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Dec 08 '10, 6:58 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have "Clean workspace" enabled in "Deliver (Client)" operation behavior. When I plant a compilation problem into VS 2008 workspace - the component and appropriate changeset are painted red, but I still able to check-in the problematic changes.

Why is that ? "Clean workspacs" is not implemented in Visual Studio Client ? Where I can find list of preconditions and follow-up actions for Visual Studio Client ?

Apologies for delay in getting back on this. I am assuming that you are using RTC 2.0.0.2 for the visual studio client. You will find that the operational behavior preconditions for client are not honored (these conditions are specific to eclipse client). The ones for server will be honored by the visual studio client as well. You mentioned that you see red error glyphs on file and components when you introduce compilation error in file. It is actually not because of the above precondition. We have done an integration of pending changes with error view in visual studio, to warn user in case of a compilation error. The idea is only to warn user of the error, and user can still go ahead and deliver.

In RTC 3.0 release, we have introduced an integration with static analysis tool. You can use any static analysis tool like FxCop and configure rules to be followed by the team. This should do the job for you. If the rules fail, client does not let user to deliver code. An additional option for visual studio client is available in Operation behavior for this.

permanent link
Michael Sternberg (8181) | answered Dec 13 '10, 9:36 a.m.

Why is that ? "Clean workspace" is not implemented in Visual Studio Client ? Where I can find list of preconditions and follow-up actions for Visual Studio Client ?

In RTC 3.0 release, we have introduced an integration with static analysis tool. You can use any static analysis tool like FxCop and configure rules to be followed by the team. This should do the job for you. If the rules fail, client does not let user to deliver code. An additional option for visual studio client is available in Operation behavior for this.
We're trying to use RTC 3.0. Can you please elaborate a little bit more, or point me to appropriate resources on the Net, regarding this integration between RTC 3.0 and static analysis tools ? Unfortunately FxCop is of no use for us because we're not developing .Net applications.

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Dec 15 '10, 4:03 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

We're trying to use RTC 3.0. Can you please elaborate a little bit more, or point me to appropriate resources on the Net, regarding this integration between RTC 3.0 and static analysis tools ? Unfortunately FxCop is of no use for us because we're not developing .Net applications.

Following link provides help on configuring static analysis tool for source code delivery in rtc for visual studio client:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/topic/com.ibm.team.concert.dotnet.doc/topics/t_static_analysis.html

You should be able to integrate any static analysis tool with rtc, but this is the only client side precondition supported in rtc for visual studio so far. Any source code delivery related precondition which can be defined as rule should be taken care of with this. If there is any other specific precondition that you are looking at, then we can try to see if we can help with any workaround.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.