It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Location of RTC 3.0 Server Zip?

James Branigan (2162) | asked Nov 24 '10, 6:50 p.m.
Hi,

I'd like to download the RTC server zip file without using the IBM installation manager as is available on 2.x releases. I can't seem to locate the link on the All Downloads page for RTC 3.0. Can someone point me at the proper link?

Thanks,

James

8 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Nov 25 '10, 4:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I'd like to download the RTC server zip file without using the IBM installation manager as is available on 2.x releases. I can't seem to locate the link on the All Downloads page for RTC 3.0. Can someone point me at the proper link?

Thanks,

James

There do not appear to be zipped versions of 3.0. At the moment, you can use the web install, or download a local repository and use IM from that.

Please add your comments to this work item:

http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=140423

requesting a zip version of RTC 3.

regards

anthony

permanent link
sébastien etter (21687) | answered Nov 25 '10, 4:31 a.m.
Hi !

I also need the server zip file !!

I want to install it from command line.

Sbastien.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Nov 25 '10, 4:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi !

I also need the server zip file !!

I want to install it from command line.

Sbastien.

Hi

I think you should be able to do this using IM using silent install (not tried this myself).

anthony

permanent link
Ricardo Pinto (6) | answered Nov 25 '10, 10:18 p.m.
a zip file would make it easier to install from command line ;)
+1 for it!

permanent link
Adrian Cho (82113322) | answered Nov 25 '10, 11:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
As of 3.0 we are not making server zips available for the same reason we've never had zips available for the Client for Microsoft Visual Studio IDE. The install in 3.0 needs to be more intelligent than the 2.0. It needs to handle a variety of paths including renaming of the context root to handle upgrading.

IM is smart enough to do this but a plain zip is not. However we understand that there is a need to install from a command-line and this is why we've documented this. Please see this help topic:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_command-line_installation.html

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Nov 26 '10, 3:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
As of 3.0 we are not making server zips available for the same reason we've never had zips available for the Client for Microsoft Visual Studio IDE. The install in 3.0 needs to be more intelligent than the 2.0. It needs to handle a variety of paths including renaming of the context root to handle upgrading.

IM is smart enough to do this but a plain zip is not. However we understand that there is a need to install from a command-line and this is why we've documented this. Please see this help topic:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_command-line_installation.html

I understand that the install is more complex in 3.0.

Would it be possible to install a clean copy of 3.0 server on a clean machine, and then zip the installed directories for deployment on another machine. This would be before we ran setup. And a similar idea for the Eclipse client install...

Would we be missing something vital if we did that?

thanks

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Nov 26 '10, 5:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Would it be possible to install a clean copy of 3.0 server on a clean machine, and then zip the installed directories for deployment on another machine. This would be before we ran setup. And a similar idea for the Eclipse client install...

thanks

anthony

I took a look at the link that Adrian sent about commandline install help - and it looks like you can create your own version of the an installation that can be zipped and moved to another machine of the same type (architecture/OS).

From the help system: Installing and upgrading > Installing Rational Team Concert > Installing the server > Command-line installation (the link Adrian mentions above):

The silent-install-server.xml response file produces an installation of the Jazz Team Server that can be compressed and relocated elsewhere on the file system, or to other machines with the same operating system and architecture.

This should do the trick for the problem I am trying to solve.

Thanks Adrian!

anthony

anthony

permanent link
Daan van der Munnik (29113127) | answered Nov 26 '10, 6:13 a.m.

I did just that and it seems to be working:
- do a regular web install inside a linux vm with a full GUI (install for a single user)
- stop right after installation (so no configuration)
- tar/zip the JazzTeamServer subtree under IBM/
- copy this zipfile over to the headless linux box
- unzip/untar
- run server.startup
- finish the configuration using the web interface

I haven't tried the solution with installmanager + responsefile yet, but that also seems a possible solution.

regards,

Daan.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.