It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Equivalent to svn switch?

d s (7173) | asked Nov 23 '10, 3:50 p.m.
edited Oct 12 '17, 1:42 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

We use svn switch quite a bit. This saves us 10 to 20 minutes each time we need to switch tasks.

I am not seeing an RTC command that is really an equivalent. Have I missed it or is it just not there?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Nov 23 '10, 4:32 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In general, there are two things you can do in RTC SCM that give you similar behavior to svn switch:

1) You can load one workspace over another. Any shared content will remain in place but any new content will be loaded

2) You can suspend one or more change sets. This removes the change set from your workspace and places it in your suspended list. You can then later resume the change set(s).

We tend to use 2) quite a bit as part of our development work flow.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
d s commented Nov 23 '10, 8:44 p.m. | edited Oct 12 '17, 1:33 p.m.

Could you please provide the steps to do this or point me to the doc that describes how?

I tried something ( see below ) and it a.) seemed a bit involved and b.) resulted in my having outgoing changes even though I did expect to have any.

Here is what I tried
1.) had workspace created from stream X
2.) Made sure all my changes were delivered
3.) Open workspace definition and changed flow target to be stream Y
4.) Refresh pending changes view

I expected to only see incoming changes. However I saw outgoing as well.

Michael Valenta commented Nov 24 '10, 10:10 a.m. | edited Oct 12 '17, 1:34 p.m.

That means that you had changes in your workspace that were not in the new flow target (i.e. your remote workspace is really just a personal stream. Changing the flow target doesn't change the contents of your stream. It only does a comparison with the target to show you the difference). When this happens, you have two options:

1) If those changes should be in the target, you can deliver them

2) If you don;t want those changes in the target, you can discard them or, if you just want to sync up with the flow target, you can choose Replace With/Latest from <Stream> and the component in your remote workspace will them match what is in the flow target.

David Lafreniere commented Oct 12 '17, 1:43 p.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.