It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

OLE Exception

babu vijay prasad kamineni (7623016) | asked Nov 19 '10, 3:55 a.m.
I have an excel sheet with .xlsx extn in my project. when i try to open that file i am getting an error
"OLE Exception
Cannot create the in-place editor
Reason: This is probably because there is no OLE editor registered against the type of file you were trying to open."

When the excel window is openned then i get an error- "Excel cannot open the file <name>" because the file format or file extention is not valid. Verfiy that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file"

There is lot of data in that excel sheet. I shouldn't loose the data.

can you tell me how to get the file safely?

2 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Nov 21 '10, 11:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have an excel sheet with .xlsx extn in my project. when i try to open that file i am getting an error
"OLE Exception
Cannot create the in-place editor
Reason: This is probably because there is no OLE editor registered against the type of file you were trying to open."

When the excel window is openned then i get an error- "Excel cannot open the file <name>" because the file format or file extention is not valid. Verfiy that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file"

There is lot of data in that excel sheet. I shouldn't loose the data.

can you tell me how to get the file safely?

When this file was uploaded, was it uploaded as an excel spreadsheet artifact format? Also do you have a mixed environment of people using both Office 2007 and Office 2003?

We have seen this error when an Office 2007 artifact was uploaded but then accessed by somebody using Office 2003, and does not have the Office 2007 conversion utility installed, and saves the artifact with 2007 extension but in 2003 format.

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Nov 22 '10, 7:40 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You should be able to download the file from the server (right-click -> download) to try and open it outside of RRC. If it does not open there, then as Robin said, there may be an issue with the Excel client on your workstation. It might also help to know which version of RRC you are using.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.