It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RAFW. New server defs for existing Cell Environment

Jorge Diaz (8664434) | asked Nov 03 '10, 6:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

for BF/RAFW 7.1.1.4; I know there's no way to add new servers definition to an existing cell environment created with the "Read Existing Cell Definition", but manually creating the files and directories. However, could it be possible to follow this other procedure?:

1. Backup cell definition File System in RAFW server
2. Re-run the "Read Existing Cell Definition" with the same environment name (so all BF projects and environment variables won't change)
3. Copy back all the propertie files that were present in the previous Cell Definition

is there anything I'm missing? Anything that could collide following this recreation process?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Jorge.

4 answers

permanent link
Timothy Robertson (216143) | answered Nov 03 '10, 1:11 p.m.
Jorge,

Good question, this set of steps should provide what you are looking for. Your set of steps is close, but essentially you want to replace the xml files, the only properties files you want to bring back into the newly created environment are the application deployment properties files.

Using the zip and env gen wizard approach

Starting topology
Cell with dmgr and 2 managed nodes, node01 and node02
1 cluster (named cluster) with 1 app server on each node

added a new cluster named newcluster, with 2 app serves 1 on each node.

From the rafw_home/user/environments directory
* Create a zip of the environment as it currently is
zip -r test_was01-was70_nd_cell.zip TEST_WAS01/cells/was70_nd_cell

* Save the zip file, you could also just place it somewhere else in the previous step
mv test_was01-was70_nd_cell.zip ~

* Create a new cluster using the WAS admin console

* Run the existing cell wizard again to import the new cell topology or use the GUI wizard
bin/rafwEnvBuild.sh -i -existing

* Unzip the saved file, but exclude all of the .properties files
unzip ~/test_was01-was70_nd_cell.zip -d . -x */*.properties

* Unzip the properties files in the apps/properties directory
unzip ~/test_was01-was70_nd_cell.zip TEST_WAS01/cells/was70_nd_cell/apps/properties/* -d .

permanent link
Jorge Diaz (8664434) | answered Nov 04 '10, 12:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Tim,

that's it, I meant the deployment properties files :)
On the other hand, why do I need step #5 of unzipping the saved environment? I guess that in the case I haven't modified anything from the original first read of the cell environment, I can avoid this step and go directly to unzipping the properties files in the apps directory, right?

Thanks!

Jorge.

permanent link
Timothy Robertson (216143) | answered Nov 04 '10, 1:06 p.m.
Yes, you certainly could. The reason for doing the other files is if you've pulled in configuration files for the cell already. For example if you ran the Project that gets created by the existing cell wizard, it will run was_common_configure_all at all scopes. That's a whole lot of resource data you don't want to lose if you're just trying to add a node/cluster/server etc.

--tim

permanent link
Jorge Diaz (8664434) | answered Nov 04 '10, 6:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Got it!
Thanks a lot for your help Tim.

Regards,

Jorge.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.