It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using the Command Line Adapter

David Walsh (1122) | asked Oct 21 '10, 12:03 p.m.
Hi,
If I wanted to run the same automated test 5 times (from a test suite) each on a different platform using the command line adapter, how do I specify the adapter i.e. the machine for each instance of the test? Intuitively I would have thought that this would be controlled by setting the test environment for each instance of the test in the test suite but that seems to have little effect. When the tests are run the adapter at the top of the alphabetical list of adapters is always selected. Test Cells also seem to have a role in the configuration, but I don't seem to be able to control their association with either a test suite, test case, or script.

Maybe what I am trying to do makes little sense, and I am missing something funtamental in the logic of RQM? Does any one have any suggestions, or could point me and some "how to use the command line adapter" documentation?

Cheers
Dave

4 answers

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Oct 25 '10, 4:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you run a Test Suite there is a pencil icon in the far right column of the Run Test Suite dialog, for each case/script that is being executed as part of the suite. You select a single row in the table, click the pencil icon and specify which machine you want that script to run on.

Unfortunately, your selection isn't sticky. So each time you run the suite you will have to reselect which adapter should run each script. Your suggestion about cross referencing Test Environment specified in the suite, with the machines which match that criteria seems like a good idea. The dialog to select a machine has an option to filter the list of machines by test environment. Which helps during the manual selection process, but it seems like RQM should be smart enough to do that automatically for you. Consider opening an RFE for this capability.

Also, when you setup an execution schedule you can specify the machine to run each step of the schedule. In this case, your selection of adapters for each script is persisted and doesn't need to be done each time the schedule runs. I know your most interested in Test Suites, but I thought I would mention it anyways. Maybe as a workaround until the RFE is implemented.

permanent link
David Walsh (1122) | answered Oct 27 '10, 11:39 a.m.
Kurtis,
Thanks for the info. I have had a look at the execute schedule option, and I have been able to run multiple instances of the same test suite across different platforms, but only sequentially. Would it not make more sense, in this situation, to be able run the suite in parallel across multiple machines (in the same way Lotus Autmator can do it)? At the schedule level they only run in sequence. There is an option at the test suite level to run the test cases within a test suite in parallel, but unless you can select multiple machines (which we agree can't be done automatically at the moment) it makes no sense to run multiple tests in parallel on the same machine.

I think the point I a driving with this discussion is there appears to be no enforced logical structure to the way RQM can be used to deploy automation via the command line adapter. Has anyone come up with an RQM configuration that enables the running of multiple tests (in a suite) across multiple platforms without having to select each machine at the script level? Does Rational have any guidelines on managing command line automations in RQM?

permanent link
David Fitch (11) | answered Feb 09 '11, 6:05 p.m.
We have also been trying to run automated tests on multiple machines. So far the only answers we've been getting involve the following:

Create a Test Script for each Machine (based on RFT Adapter)
Create a Test Case for each Test Script
Create a Test Suite and include each of the Test Cases
Run the Test Suite with the 'parallel' check box checked.

This does **work** depending on how one defines work.

It seems that this solution could quickly become very difficult to maintain as the number of scripts and number of machines increases. With Rational Test Manager, you could add multiple Test Scripts to a Test Suite, and using the rtmanager /computers option provide a list of computers to run the Test Suite on, and they would run in parallel.

RQM seems to have dropped this abililty for some reason, and RTM does not support testing on the latest Windows platforms (Win Server 2k8 R2, and Win 7 specifically. Kind of defeats the purpose of an automated test tool in my opinion

permanent link
David Walsh (1122) | answered Feb 10 '11, 4:58 a.m.
We have also been trying to run automated tests on multiple machines. So far the only answers we've been getting involve the following:

Create a Test Script for each Machine (based on RFT Adapter)
Create a Test Case for each Test Script
Create a Test Suite and include each of the Test Cases
Run the Test Suite with the 'parallel' check box checked.

This does **work** depending on how one defines work.

It seems that this solution could quickly become very difficult to maintain as the number of scripts and number of machines increases. With Rational Test Manager, you could add multiple Test Scripts to a Test Suite, and using the rtmanager /computers option provide a list of computers to run the Test Suite on, and they would run in parallel.

RQM seems to have dropped this abililty for some reason, and RTM does not support testing on the latest Windows platforms (Win Server 2k8 R2, and Win 7 specifically. Kind of defeats the purpose of an automated test tool in my opinion

I agree, there seems to be very little provision in RQM for automated test deployment which does indeed defeat the purpose of an all encompassing test management tool. I have been told to hang fire with my attempts to integrate our automated tests with RQM until Rational get their house in order regarding the latest version of RQM, but there is no guarantee that Automation integration will have improved.

Is there anybody out there from Rational who can help us with this problem? I would be more than happy to be told I have got it wrong, and be shown the correct way to deploy automations from RQM.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.