It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Compiling BFAgent

Matt Wood (2632) | asked Oct 11 '10, 3:09 p.m.
Hi, I need to build a bfagent for p linux. So I'm trying to build it from src. I'm running into an issue:

(when running configure script)
checking for pam_start in -lpam... no
checking whether PAM functions are really there or not... no
checking for pam_start in -lpam... (cached) no

then it throws an error message ending with this:
configure: error: You did not specify --without-pam, and PAM was not found.

My system has pam libraries installed under /lib and (sub dirs). PAM works on the system and is in use by several other programs. I'm curious where to begin with this. I wasn't finding much on google. The src/README file referenced an "Agent Whitepaper". Anyone know where I can get this?

Thanks

3 answers

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Oct 12 '10, 8:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, I need to build a bfagent for p linux. So I'm trying to build it from src. I'm running into an issue:

(when running configure script)
checking for pam_start in -lpam... no
checking whether PAM functions are really there or not... no
checking for pam_start in -lpam... (cached) no

then it throws an error message ending with this:
configure: error: You did not specify --without-pam, and PAM was not found.

My system has pam libraries installed under /lib and (sub dirs). PAM works on the system and is in use by several other programs. I'm curious where to begin with this. I wasn't finding much on google. The src/README file referenced an "Agent Whitepaper". Anyone know where I can get this?

Thanks

Hi Matt,

The error you're getting indicates there was a compilation error. You should have a file named config.log in the directory where you ran the configure script. It should contain information about the compile failure. For example, on my computer the config.log shows this when it doesn't have some necessary pam files.

configure:20773: checking for pam/pam_appl.h
configure:20799: gcc -c -ggdb -O2 conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:75:26: error: pam/pam_appl.h: No such file or directory
configure:20805: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "IBM Rational Build Forge Agent"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "ibm-rational-build-forge-agent"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "7.1.1.4-0-0013"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "IBM Rational Build Forge Agent 7.1.1.4-0-0013"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "sw_support@us.ibm.com (1-800-IBM-SERV)"
| #define _GNU_SOURCE 1

One thing to verify is that you have pam-devel package installed on your system because the development libraries are necessary to compile a new program to use it.

You might post some of your config.log with the pam compile information, if these suggestions don't work for you.

bju

permanent link
Matt Wood (2632) | answered Oct 18 '10, 9:57 a.m.
bju,

Thanks for the response. You were correct, it was an issue with certain packages not being installed in my environment. I just wasn't sure which ones I needed. After some email exchanges with support, I learned that I needed these:

"pam-devel" (required for pam support)
"pcre-devel" (recommended)
"openssl-devel" (recommended)

After I had these installed, the configure script worked and I was able to build the agent.

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Oct 18 '10, 12:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
bju,

Thanks for the response. You were correct, it was an issue with certain packages not being installed in my environment. I just wasn't sure which ones I needed. After some email exchanges with support, I learned that I needed these:

"pam-devel" (required for pam support)
"pcre-devel" (recommended)
"openssl-devel" (recommended)

After I had these installed, the configure script worked and I was able to build the agent.

Hi,

It's great that you've got it working, and thanks for posting the resolution!

bju

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.