It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to send fail emails without including myself

James Leone (13613513) | asked Jul 06 '10, 2:14 p.m.
Hello,

We have a handful of processes modified in Build Forge and a schedule to run those processes at different times. If something fails, we would like certain people to be emailed.

I am assuming the project "Fail Notify" property is the best way to do this. The problem is, I personally don't want to get the emails. We have created a Build Forge group of users that should get those emails.

Since I don't belong to that group, I don't see that group in the drop down and therefore cannot configure the project to send notifications to that group.

Is there any way to see the groups I don't belong to in the Fail Notify drop down?

It seems the only way I can do this is by adding myself to the group, configuring the Fail Notify, then removing myself from the group (since I don't want more emails). The problem with this approach, is that if I make any additional modifications to that project, it gives me errors (since the "Fail Notify" is set to a group that I don't belong to").

The only way I can successfully do this is when I am "root". I don't want to be root all the time. I would love to know if there is a permission or something that I could assign myself that would provide this flexibility.

4 answers

permanent link
Leo Sager (312) | answered Jul 06 '10, 2:41 p.m.
Hello,

We have a handful of processes modified in Build Forge and a schedule to run those processes at different times. If something fails, we would like certain people to be emailed.

I am assuming the project "Fail Notify" property is the best way to do this. The problem is, I personally don't want to get the emails. We have created a Build Forge group of users that should get those emails.

Since I don't belong to that group, I don't see that group in the drop down and therefore cannot configure the project to send notifications to that group.

Is there any way to see the groups I don't belong to in the Fail Notify drop down?

It seems the only way I can do this is by adding myself to the group, configuring the Fail Notify, then removing myself from the group (since I don't want more emails). The problem with this approach, is that if I make any additional modifications to that project, it gives me errors (since the "Fail Notify" is set to a group that I don't belong to").

The only way I can successfully do this is when I am "root". I don't want to be root all the time. I would love to know if there is a permission or something that I could assign myself that would provide this flexibility.

What we do is we have a "general visibility" group that we use for all publilc objects, and all users are a member of that group. We then assign that general visibility group as a subgroup to the notification group. So, I am not a direct member of the group (so I don't get emails), but I can pick it in the drop downs. You could setup a similar group for that purpose.

permanent link
James Leone (13613513) | answered Jul 06 '10, 3:06 p.m.
Could you clarify this a bit? I tested out what you are saying, but it doesn't seem to be working.

We have a group called "Guest" that everybody belongs to. I have a group called "#Support Team" that is used to track all users that should received the Fail Notify email.

I made "#Support Team" a sub group of Guest while I was a member of both groups. I then removed myself from the "#Support Team" group and attempted to edit the project in question. When I did, the Fail Notify was blank (not "-- None --" but blank) and I could no longer see "#Support Team" in the drop down of options.

Should it be the other way around? Should I make "Guest" a sub-group of "#Support Team"? If I do this, won't all people in Guest get the email notifications?

permanent link
Leo Sager (312) | answered Jul 06 '10, 3:34 p.m.
Could you clarify this a bit? I tested out what you are saying, but it doesn't seem to be working.

We have a group called "Guest" that everybody belongs to. I have a group called "#Support Team" that is used to track all users that should received the Fail Notify email.

I made "#Support Team" a sub group of Guest while I was a member of both groups. I then removed myself from the "#Support Team" group and attempted to edit the project in question. When I did, the Fail Notify was blank (not "-- None --" but blank) and I could no longer see "#Support Team" in the drop down of options.

Should it be the other way around? Should I make "Guest" a sub-group of "#Support Team"? If I do this, won't all people in Guest get the email notifications?

Edit your "group that gets notified" - You don't want to be a member of this group. To that group, make your "guest" group a subgroup.

Only direct users of the "group that gets notifies" will get the email, not everyone. BUT, everyone will be able to see the "group that gets notifies" in the drop down pick lists.

permanent link
Tim McDaniel (401146) | answered Jul 09 '10, 1:59 p.m.
In article <i0vuuf>,
jleone <jleone> wrote:
Should it be the other way around? Should I make "Guest" a
sub-group of "#Support Team"?

That was the suggestion.

If I do this, won't all
people in Guest get the email notifications?

According to Help, no, at least in 7.1.1.4, so long as all the users
to receive notifications are direct members of #Support Team. It's a
weird feature of Build Forge. In Help, searching for
"notification", first hit:

If you have set up access groups to be hierarchical (an access
group contains subgroups), then notification works as follows:

* If the access group for notification is a parent group and
contains one or more users, notification is sent only to the
users in the parent group.

* If the access group for notification is a parent group and
contains no users, only subgroups, then the notification is sent
to all subgroup users.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.